Best Zero Turn - Under $3500

merkaba

Threads
I am interested in a new zero turn for my yard only...it's about 1.5 acres in New Hampshire. I have a pretty strict budget of $3500 and am trying to figure out the best mower I can buy. I have a local husqvarna dealer, but nothing else close...all 45-60 min away other than husqvarna.

I think these are my top options...but not entirely sure if i'm missing a brand or model? Just wondering what you would buy, and why. My yard has some hills, some flat, and some bushes/trees to also mow around. Any input would be great.

Bad Boy MZ Magnum ($3399 msrp) - Kawasaki FR65 1V / Kohler KT740

Huslter Raptor - ($2800 msrp 42" vs $3200 52") Kohler Pro 7000 25hp

Hustler Raptor SD - ($3999 msrp) Kohler Pro 7000 25hp (i think there are some decent deals on these right now locally)

Husqvarna Z248F - ($3499 msrp) Kawasaki FR 691V 23hp / Briggs Vanguard 23hp

Husqvarna MZ 54S - ($3999 msrp) "Semi-Commercial Machine" - Briggs Endurance Comm 25hp (no idea if they budge on price)

Gravely ZT XL - ($4099 msrp) Kawasaki FR V-Twin/Kohler 7000 (again no idea if they budge on these)

Gravely ZT X - ($3499 msrp) Kohler 7000

RDA.Lawns

Threads
I have ran toro mowers for the past 12 years. Its time to trade again. I have been looking at the bad boy mowers really hard. If it was me I'd get the bad boy .Side note its my opinion, others will have theirs.And I would not get a Kawasaki motor. Go demo them all.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have looked at the mowers you have listed. As I am looking to replace 4 mowers this winter.
I feel the bad boy is the better mower for the price.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am interested in a new zero turn for my yard only...it's about 1.5 acres in New Hampshire. I have a pretty strict budget of $3500 and am trying to figure out the best mower I can buy. I have a local husqvarna dealer, but nothing else close...all 45-60 min away other than husqvarna.

I think these are my top options...but not entirely sure if i'm missing a brand or model? Just wondering what you would buy, and why. My yard has some hills, some flat, and some bushes/trees to also mow around. Any input would be great.

Bad Boy MZ Magnum ($3399 msrp) - Kawasaki FR65 1V / Kohler KT740

Huslter Raptor - ($2800 msrp 42" vs $3200 52") Kohler Pro 7000 25hp

Hustler Raptor SD - ($3999 msrp) Kohler Pro 7000 25hp (i think there are some decent deals on these right now locally)

Husqvarna Z248F - ($3499 msrp) Kawasaki FR 691V 23hp / Briggs Vanguard 23hp

Husqvarna MZ 54S - ($3999 msrp) "Semi-Commercial Machine" - Briggs Endurance Comm 25hp (no idea if they budge on price)

Gravely ZT XL - ($4099 msrp) Kawasaki FR V-Twin/Kohler 7000 (again no idea if they budge on these)

Gravely ZT X - ($3499 msrp) Kohler 7000

You'll find on Homeowner / Residential mowers you get what you pay for. It's just my opinion and I'll tell you up front I'm not a fan of Gravely but the with the mowers you have listed the Gravely ZT XL - ($4099 msrp) is the way to go or be my first choice. Second choice would be the Hustler Raptor SD.

It has a 3-inch fully fabricated tubular frame and a 10 gauge Fabricated deck. it also has what gravely claims to be a commercial-grade Hydro-Gear ZT-2800 transmission which are a real good reliable drive unit. I'd also stay with the Kawasaki engines, they have the best reputation out of the engines listed.

Personally if I were you and looking to spend $3500 on a mower I'd start checking CraigsList for a good low hour commercial mower.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am not sure about where you live but in my neck of the woods you can hire somebody to do your grass and one way out ahead on paying that much for a lawn mower. That way you do not have to do anything but write a check once a month........ Cheap mowers are just that. Cheap mowers.

NorthBama

Threads
The Gravely looks like a good deal if it has been serviced regular and used by home owner. Only thing I see it should have better air filter system. Just my opinion. Toro commercial here

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The Gravely looks like a good deal if it has been serviced regular and used by home owner. Only thing I see it should have better air filter system. Just my opinion. Toro commercial here

I agree, I'd like to see a better air system on the mower, but it is the FR series and shouldn't get run like the commercial engines. For a residential mower or use it should be fine. The FS series engines run the same air system and it's a commercial engine and it does a real good job, you just need to clean and change it more often because it's not like the heavy-duty canister air filtration system they run on the FX models.

Good 1 Brian

Threads
Depends it you looking for dealer support or if you plan on doing you're on service and repairs on what and were you buy .
I also looked at blade speed , I see you have the standard Raptor using a Kohler Pro , the Pro series only on the Raptor SD .

merkaba

Threads
I've narrowed it down to these two choices...need some help deciding!! I know the JD is like 7k new, and the gravely i think is running for 4700 new. Seems like a massive price difference...but how much better is the JD?

bought new in March of 2015. HD 52" deck, Kawasaki 23hp. currently 239 hours, recently serviced, great mower and i found out he has a trailer...so i made a package deal with a 5x10 landscape trailer for $3500...i need a landscape trailer...he paid $1200 for the trailer last year. Everything works great, just slow business-wise.
Bh8gdpSl.jpg

OR

2013 John Deere Z915 B has 203.0 hours,has a Kohler 23.9 motor. Has a 48 inch 7-iron two commercial deck on it
NFzLvmBl.jpg