Best way to clean a zero turn after mowing?

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
how is the best way to clean the zero turn after mowing. ive been using a water hose, but after the plugs started rusting and all that. i quit. now what?

dhall57

Threads
Ive had my Toro Titan ZX5400 only a short time but I hear using water on it can cause numerous problems. I don't mow when grass is still wet so I just use my air compressor or my shop vac to blow all the grass off machine before pulling it into garage.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
thanks for the rapid reply i thought about that but it has a oil leak(witch i am fixing ) so grass tends to stick to it

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
how is the best way to clean the zero turn after mowing. I've been using a water hose, but after the plugs started rusting and all that. i quit. now what?

Ive had my Toro Titan ZX5400 only a short time but I hear using water on it can cause numerous problems. I don't mow when grass is still wet so I just use my air compressor or my shop vac to blow all the grass off machine before pulling it into garage.

Using water or washing a mower doesn't really hurt anything, if it did I don't think they would put washouts on the deck to hook a hose to. What I wouldn't do is use a pressure washer to clean a mower. When I do wash the mower I'll start the engine after and run it until it dry's itself. I use the BR 600 blower and blow the mower after every yard I do to remove all the grass and crud from around the deck belts and pulley's and drives and fans before moving to the next location and before I load the mower at the end of the day. I hate dirty trailers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gees, agreeing with Ric yet again.
Compressed air and a blower gun with a very long tube is my suggestion and what I use in the shop.
got them from 5' long ( yes a newie ) a couple of 4' then a dozen or so down to 6".
Long guns mean you can stand back so you don't get covered with clippings & dust.
Also you do not need to crawl under the mower or burn your fingers blowing around the engine.

Water on the top of the deck is a no no as it usually does not remove the grass very well and leaves clumps of wet grass sitting on your deck, rusting nice big holes or wicking under the powder coating.
Water under the deck is fine just so long as you leave the blade spinning till it dries off.
Air is good because it will shift accumulated grass from inside spindle covers.

Second best is a leaf blower but no where as good.
You should never ever turn up at a job with grass clippings on your machine.
Doing so will leave you wide open to accuations of spreading weeds to your customers property and it is not a good look.
Ditto with grass all over the trailer.
Clean machine, clean treads on tyres is a good look and convinces he customers you are looking after their best interests.
Cleaning your tyres will show up infestations of things like Bindi grass abd other nasties then you have the option of notifing the customer and getting an add on to spray for the offending weed.
Also cleaning off after each job means you will be taking a close look at your mower so will notice the missing bolt, bent blade, frayed belt, thornin tyre etc, long before it causes a failure.
Swapping out a belt with the mower on the loading ramps is a lot easier than pushing it 600 yards then trying to crawl under it sitting flat on the ground.