Best value SCAG for my situation?

dustyboots

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello. 5 acres of former cow pasture in South Central Texas. Mostly native grasses, but will seed turf at some point. Soil has a good bit of clay and is pitted from hooves, so it is not smooth. Most flat, but a couple ditches/swales.

Looking at the Patriot and lower levels based on budget.

Seems like buying based on transaxle might be smart from a value standpoint.

The 52" Patriot has the ZT3100 and the 61" Patriot has the ZT3400.
The Freedom and Liberty lines mostly have the ZT2800, *but* the 61" Liberty has the ZT3100 (and the Ogura GT2 108ftlb clutch)!
Spindles are all aluminum with sealed bearings. All have Hero decks.

MSRPs:
The Patriots with the ZT3100 are about $9k.
The Patriots with the ZT3400 are about $10k.
The 61" Liberty is about $7k

That's a difference of about $2,000 - $3,000 for the upgrade to Patriot models, which have the suspension seat, bigger tires, 0.5" higher max cut, foot lever parking brake, and 1 gal bigger gas tanks.

It seems to me that the 61" Liberty is a good value as it has the same transaxle and clutch as most of the Patriot models. Engine choice aside, is the overall build quality that much lower than the Patriots? Is there something that I am missing in this analysis? What else are you getting for that $2-3k? Thanks!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
ZT3400 Is a commercial hydro. Suspension seats are nice bigger tires are a plus. You have to make the choice.

dustyboots

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you.
I agree that bigger tires and suspension seat are nice. My local dealer has no floor models, will have to order. Any input on the build quality of the Liberty vs Patriot lines in terms of frame, chassis, whatever else?

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm 3 years in on my Liberty 48" w/Kaw power.. Great for my needs, it's a solid built machine...

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
We are Dixie Chopper and Stihl Dealers. Stihl mowers are built by Ferris. Can not give any advice on the Scagg mowers other than they seem to be a good line of mower that the upper end of the line is used in the commercial lawn care industry.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
One thing I will tell you about the Kawasaki engines. They are a good engine. You need to really do as they reccomend and adjust the valves every 350 hours as this is the weakest area of the engine. If they would fix this weak link in the engine they would have the best engine in the industry.

dustyboots

Forum Newbie
Threads
If Scag is your choice for 5 acres, the Patriot 61” would be the one to get.
I'm open to other suggestions. My only experience with at ZT is a John Deere that a family member owns. Dealer is recommending Scag and gave me their catalog, so it is the brand that I have researched the most. What would your choice be?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Toro
Gravely
Exmark
Bad Boy
Look for something with ZT 3400 minimum and 25hp.
I cut 3 acres weekly and have a Gravely Pro Turn 260 with a 25hp Kohler and ZT 5400s.
You would be best served with a 60” entry level commercial mower or better.

Its Me

Threads

dustyboots that used not to be that big of a decision years ago but with the prices of Mowers today it is a big decision, I have Scags, 48' Tiger Cub, Turf tiger, have three of them 61" cut and a turf tiger with the 72" deck, when it comes to cutting the 5 acres here does not take long with that 72", these I speak of are commercial models, If you get one of the larger ones you will have to grease the spindles, that is where people fall short of keeping them up, they have tapered bearings, I had to rebuild one the other day with 1,700 hours on it, just take care of whatever you choose to get, sharp blades, don't cut down to the ground, give it a chance to discharge the grass and keep it out of the weather, those you speak of are good but spend the money and get the largest you can afford, it will last you many years.​

hlw49​

many years ago I had a mower shop and now retired in my 70's and have a repair shop at home again, I say all that for a background that I know from experience that it does not pay to down grade other mowers to sell yours, I commend you on that, all I would say when they would bring up one brand that a mower shop sold of big box store is when they cannot repair them we will but we first service our customers, I had opened my shop in 1980, the Dixie salesman come it was their first year to sell them, I asked about the way they were designed he said they were a grain elevator company and that was left over parts, it had a horizontal engine with four v-belt pullies in order to get the belt to the deck, I saw that as a weakness and ask the salesman what its should I stock so I don't have customers waiting on parts, he quickly said, Idlers, it eats them real fast, I said when they go to a vertical engine I would consider, they did the next year but I had two brands and doing well with them and had parts to fix them, I work on some choppers here at home, we have lost both dealers in this area, where might you be located, happy mechanizing, Joe​

Last edited: