Best value SCAG for my situation?

dustyboots

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks y'all. Joe, I'm between Brenham and La Grange. Good advice all around. Thank you for helping me get educated on this stuff. I'm going to check some dealers in other towns nearby and look more closely at the lines they carry. I do think it would be nice to have a dealer within a reasonable distance for parts and service, though I like to do my own fluids, filters, lube and basic maintenance on my vehicles and equipment.

I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions, thank you.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get a Bad Boy Rebel 61” for the same money as a Scag Patriot.
The Rebel comes with a Kawasaki FX850V engine and Hydro Gear ZT4400 transmissions.
The Rebel is way more mower than the Scag. It’s heavier and is built stouter. This is a true commercial mower.
WC Tractor in Brenham, TX

dustyboots

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds interesting, thank you. I haven’t looked at bad boy yet, but I definitely will now. 👍

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you think that’s too much mower, you can move down to the Bad Boy Maverick HD 60. It has the same ZT3400 transmission as the Scag Patriot and it’s still heavier built than the Patriot.

Grasswhore

Forum Newbie
Threads
Might look at Hustler Fastrac SDX. Can get Kawasaki FX730, Hydrogear 3400's and 54 or 61 inch cuts and suspension seat. I wanted the Patriot, but they went to self contained reservoirs on the 3400's and I want separate reservoirs that I can see and fill with worrying about contamination from grass clippings. I have a 14 year old Freedom Z that has been phenomenal, but alas they have cheapened it's quality in the intervening years.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might look at Hustler Fastrac SDX. Can get Kawasaki FX730, Hydrogear 3400's and 54 or 61 inch cuts and suspension seat. I wanted the Patriot, but they went to self contained reservoirs on the 3400's and I want separate reservoirs that I can see and fill with worrying about contamination from grass clippings. I have a 14 year old Freedom Z that has been phenomenal, but alas they have cheapened it's quality in the intervening years.
While you are looking, stop by the Gravely dealer and look at the Pro Turn 160. It’s equipped similarly to the Hustler Fastrac SDX.

13brian

Threads
Hello. 5 acres of former cow pasture in South Central Texas. Mostly native grasses, but will seed turf at some point. Soil has a good bit of clay and is pitted from hooves, so it is not smooth. Most flat, but a couple ditches/swales.

Looking at the Patriot and lower levels based on budget.

Seems like buying based on transaxle might be smart from a value standpoint.

The 52" Patriot has the ZT3100 and the 61" Patriot has the ZT3400.
The Freedom and Liberty lines mostly have the ZT2800, *but* the 61" Liberty has the ZT3100 (and the Ogura GT2 108ftlb clutch)!
Spindles are all aluminum with sealed bearings. All have Hero decks.

MSRPs:
The Patriots with the ZT3100 are about $9k.
The Patriots with the ZT3400 are about $10k.
The 61" Liberty is about $7k

That's a difference of about $2,000 - $3,000 for the upgrade to Patriot models, which have the suspension seat, bigger tires, 0.5" higher max cut, foot lever parking brake, and 1 gal bigger gas tanks.

It seems to me that the 61" Liberty is a good value as it has the same transaxle and clutch as most of the Patriot models. Engine choice aside, is the overall build quality that much lower than the Patriots? Is there something that I am missing in this analysis? What else are you getting for that $2-3k? Thanks!
I have very similar with 4.6 acres of ex-horse pasture. Agree with you, I have the Liberty Z 61" for 4 years now, haven't regretted it for a moment, paid about $6k for year end sale. I am glad I bought a Scag, it is built solid and tough, I don't worry about anything. I bought aftermarket suspension seat (found model/instructions online forum) and am very happy with it. I got free 48 month financing, just made the last payment, liked using free money. Still has a year of warranty left on it, with no claims. I am considering putting front wheel suspension on it, but have not yet done so.

DinosaurMike

Threads
I have very similar with 4.6 acres of ex-horse pasture. Agree with you, I have the Liberty Z 61" for 4 years now, haven't regretted it for a moment, paid about $6k for year end sale. I am glad I bought a Scag, it is built solid and tough, I don't worry about anything. I bought aftermarket suspension seat (found model/instructions online forum) and am very happy with it. I got free 48 month financing, just made the last payment, liked using free money. Still has a year of warranty left on it, with no claims. I am considering putting front wheel suspension on it, but have not yet done so.
I am curious about your mowing of the ex-horse pasture. The OP mentioned hoof pits. Is your pasture smooth enough to mow comfortably? It sounds crazy, but would it be any advantage to have the pasture rolled to smooth it out? I'm a village kid so be easy on me.