Best quality walk behind for $500 or less

lewdogg

Forum Newbie
Threads
New to the forum...

My wife and I just bought our first single family home and will now have to begin mowing the yard. The lot is about .25 acres and I would prefer a self-propelled walk-behind. I'm looking for the most durable and best value for around $500.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

SirJohn

Threads
At the $500 mark, Toro and Honda are pretty much top dog. I'd take a look at both of thier offerings though even at that price, they won't be commercial grade. Rear wheel drive mowers are generally recommended over front wheel drive, but some people with flat lawns do still prefer front wheel drive. Other than that, I gave some comments in a few other threads here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/4521-no-luck.html

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/mower-buying-pricing/4514-new-lawn-mower-recommendation.html

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
New to the forum...

My wife and I just bought our first single family home and will now have to begin mowing the yard. The lot is about .25 acres and I would prefer a self-propelled walk-behind. I'm looking for the most durable and best value for around $500.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA.

With only .25 acres you can't be putting very many hours on a mower in a years mowing. With good MAINTENANCE any popular brand $500 mower should give you years of service.

djrussell

Threads
I was recently in the same spot. I got the Honda listed under my name. It had the most features for the price and high quality. I'm pleased with it so far. It will bog or stall if I really try to push its limits but that's my own fault. The dual blades, self propel, and mulching tall grass are a little much for it I suppose.

I was decided on either a Honda or Toro Super Recycler so as to get a long-lasting machine. The Hondas are cheapest at Home Depot and can be bought with a coupon from them or any competitor.