Best fuel stabilizer

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
But what would be the best carb cleaner to put in your gas, even if its still a little varnishy after the ultrasonic cleaner?
I would try Techron. I've used it over the years with visible results. Couple carbed motorcycles mainly. Looked behind the valves before and after with stunning results. On my 1998 Kawasaki ZX9R, the valves were loaded with carbon chunks. One tank later about 98% of the carbon was gone. Also Porsche recommends it. Confident they know their sh_t. You were talking varnish tough. I would try Techron or B-12. Both are solid products.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only use 100% gas, so don't really need stabilizer, but near end of season, I do add a bit of Seafoam.
My Dad turned me onto Seafoam about 55 years ago.. It has never let me down & also works great in gummed up air tools. !!!

But I have read a while back that Seafoam changed the formula. So ............

MParr- Thanks for the You-tube.. Was interesting..

I have left my spare string trimmer w/ seafoamed 100% gas sleeping for near 2 years, & it started..

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I only use 100% gas, so don't really need stabilizer, but near end of season, I do add a bit of Seafoam.
My Dad turned me onto Seafoam about 55 years ago.. It has never let me down & also works great in gummed up air tools. !!!

But I have read a while back that Seafoam changed the formula. So ............

MParr- Thanks for the You-tube.. Was interesting..

I have left my spare string trimmer w/ seafoamed 100% gas sleeping for near 2 years, & it started..
I use high octane pure gas in all of my outdoor power equipment. I do add Sta-Bil 360 to my mower gas. Does it really work? I don’t know for sure. That gas is never stored over 5 months. I exercise my mower engine periodically during the winter.

oldlawnguy

Threads
I would try Techron. I've used it over the years with visible results. Couple carbed motorcycles mainly. Looked behind the valves before and after with stunning results. On my 1998 Kawasaki ZX9R, the valves were loaded with carbon chunks. One tank later about 98% of the carbon was gone. Also Porsche recommends it. Confident they know their sh_t. You were talking varnish tough. I would try Techron or B-12. Both are solid products.
2nd the Stabile Storage & Techron.

Maybe ancedotal with my small sample set of equipment. I've been burnt by the moisture in gas on both 2 & 4 stroke carbs. I use about 15 gallons of gas every 6 months (winter/summer), so here is what I use: 92 octane with both Stabil Storage & Techron added.

Anything that's left over gets poured into the generator which runs every few months (unless we lose power). For the 2-strokes I use either non ethanol pre-mix (PowerCare or TruFuel) or I take the same above gas and add Ethanol Shield 2-cycle oil to make my own premix.

Who knows if it's helpful and/or the power of the mind!

Gord Baker

Threads
Simply drain tank and system, run the engine til it stops, use Float Bowl drain if there is one. Use Premium non Ethanol fuel if you can find it. Taryl tested a variety of 'stabilizers'. Check his video on that.

jomojo

Forum Newbie
Threads
I know there's a big debate on this topic but wanted to know. What is the best Fuel stabilizer/ carb cleaner that you can dump in the gas tank? Something that actually works on cleaning varnish in the carb. I want to use it for lawn mowers and other small things. I heard Stabil, Seafoam, Mechanic in a bottle, etc. Wanting to know your opinion.
I'm and old newbie here but I just bought 5 gallons of NON ETHANOL gas. I paid $.80 extra and drove 10 miles to get it. Now to get the BS engine to drive out from from under the shade tree. :)

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use high octane pure gas in all of my outdoor power equipment. I do add Sta-Bil 360 to my mower gas. Does it really work? I don’t know for sure. That gas is never stored over 5 months. I exercise my mower engine periodically during the winter.
I use pure high octane as well for my 2 strokes. The mowers get 100% regular.. But all stay parked over winter.. I feel that if I'm not gonna excersize my mowers engines for about 1/2 hour, then it is just collecting condensation internally.. But everyone has their own way,..

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use pure high octane as well for my 2 strokes. The mowers get 100% regular.. But all stay parked over winter.. I feel that if I'm not gonna excersize my mowers engines for about 1/2 hour, then it is just collecting condensation internally.. But everyone has their own way,..
I buy the high octane canned premixed for my 2 strokes. I don’t use enough 2 stroke mix to justify having it sitting around in gallon gas cans.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I buy the high octane canned premixed for my 2 strokes. I don’t use enough 2 stroke mix to justify having it sitting around in gallon gas cans.
I guess I like mixing. I use Amsoil Saber, that works super, so much so that I had to lower the rpms on the idle circuits on my string trimmer & blower after a couple months of using it..

Last edited:

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
But what would be the best carb cleaner to put in your gas, even if its still a little varnishy after the ultrasonic cleaner?
More ultrasound and high pressure air. For stabilization use the Marine grade Stabil. B&S had a great product but it was discontinued for some reason - probably not healthy, like most. As for cleaning, Injector cleaner is good. Best product that does multi things changes based on new and discontinued products very frequently. Currently I use Lucas oil product that has a multi treatment in a green bottle with a tall neck - can't remember the name.