Best electric mower?

MowerMike

Threads
What about the Stihl RMA 370, it's lithium Ion

The Stihl RMA 370 is not yet available in the USA. Also, it costs about 3X as much as the WORX WG775 at its current discount price. It sure is nice, but very pricey.

Mark Widmer

Threads
Given the small size of your plot, I'd recommend the WORX WG775 battery powered electric mower that is currently on sale from the manufacturer's eBay store for $179.99 with free shipping.

Buy Worx 24V 14" Cordless Lawn Mower WG775 | eBay
I think I'd be annoyed with having a narrow 14" blade, but for really small lawns I guess it wouldn't matter as much.

Willyvon

Threads
Re: Best electric mower? Neuton

I've been using my Neuton EM 4.1 14" mower for my < 3200 sqft lawn for ~ 10 years now and frankly wouldn't consider ANY gas powered yard equipment ever! The Neuton equiv today is the Neuton CE 5. The battery scheme is the simplest on the market. You just flip the cover lid and drop it in and with the newer ones flip the retention lever, drop the cover closed and mow. There is an available edger attachment which plugs into the front of the mower and powered by flipping a switch on the control area of the handle (power switched from mow motor to attachment port via relay inside the mower body) and uses the best string I've ever seen. It goes through the work like a hot knife through butter.
Neuton Battery Lawn Mowers - CE5 Mower | Neuton Power Equipment

For any cordless mower you'll want/ need a spare battery pack. Mowing job workload is as variable as the weather and any rechargeable battery preforms best and lasts longest when fully discharged to appropriate level each charge /discharge cycle. Reaching that level will vary in use time as stated above, just like fuel load use on your gas unit. Think of the spare like that can of gas you keep on hand for your larger gas powered mower. My EM 4.1 accomplishes ~1 1/2 complete mow jobs / battery charge with the Neuton blade and used to be able to do so with ~ 1/2 the edges trimmed by it also. Both are mower and trim attachment getting older. The yard layout accommodates splitting trimming in 1/2 per mowing job.
The ONLY maintenance these require is surface cleaning, blade cleaning and sharpening, trimmer string reload and ~ every 3to5 years replacement of the 24 v pack's 2 12v, 10 AH batteries. The latter is a job I've repeatedly accomplished in ~ 10 minutes with a single torx screwdriver (only 2 screws) a pair of needle nose pliers for the tab connector attachments and a little gentle prying, installing batteries that cost me ~$50 last time. Their identical in every other way 19" CE6 operates on a 36v pack & system. Why would any sane man not obsessively enamored with petrochemicals, mess and inefficiency choose gas power over that low level of maintenance
[/CENTER
requirement?

I'm planning to approach them and other makers with my new "Trim Reaper" blade technology, patent pending, that appears to yield double digit % of reduced load on the motor. Though it could be adapted to almost any rotary mower blade to make any rotary mower more efficient, my preferred market is cordless electric mowing. 1st prototype has been tested with previously stated results on my EM 4.1. It was a modified standard Neuton blade. I hope to have a website for the blade design up in a few weeks.​

MowerMike

Threads
Regarding the Neuton...

I really wish Neuton had switched to lithium ion batteries with their latest CE5 and CE6 models, instead of staying with SLA batteries. I just purchased a new Greenworks 20" twin blade mower that uses two Li-Ion battery packs that are much lighter, recharge much faster and have better power characteristics than SLA batteries. This is the future of battery powered mowers and pricing is now competitive with SLA powered mowers.

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/elect...-blade-li-ion-battery-powered-lawn-mower.html

sporkk

Threads
I have been browsing some battery mowers and can't make up my mind if I want one. I was even looking at robot mowers but I don't believe they are worth it yet. The only thing that I have decided is that I would want a lithium powered mower if I go with batteries and that it has at least a 18" cut. I was looking at the Greenworks 25292 40-Volt 4 Amp-Hour Lithium Ion 19-Inch Lawn Mower on amazon and it seems to fit my required specs but greenworks has a reputation for poor customer service and it only comes with 1 key to start the mower. Also how long will these batteries last before they need to be replaced?

I am concerned about finding new blades or batteries with some of these mowers. As I stated in another post I no longer have any interest in gas tools and currently use a corded B&d mower and a fiskars reel mower. The fiskars is great but it doesn't take down taller weeds. If you have your weeds under control and can make several passes a week I really think its a better deal than some of the small battery mowers. I really enjoy using the corded mower as well and don't mind the cord but it does take more time hence the reason I'm looking at battery mowers.

MowerMike

Threads
I have been browsing some battery mowers and can't make up my mind if I want one. I was even looking at robot mowers but I don't believe they are worth it yet. The only thing that I have decided is that I would want a lithium powered mower if I go with batteries and that it has at least a 18" cut. I was looking at the Greenworks 25292 40-Volt 4 Amp-Hour Lithium Ion 19-Inch Lawn Mower on amazon and it seems to fit my required specs but greenworks has a reputation for poor customer service and it only comes with 1 key to start the mower. Also how long will these batteries last before they need to be replaced?

I am concerned about finding new blades or batteries with some of these mowers. As I stated in another post I no longer have any interest in gas tools and currently use a corded B&d mower and a fiskars reel mower. The fiskars is great but it doesn't take down taller weeds. If you have your weeds under control and can make several passes a week I really think its a better deal than some of the small battery mowers. I really enjoy using the corded mower as well and don't mind the cord but it does take more time hence the reason I'm looking at battery mowers.

First, don't buy the Greenworks 25292, because it's an obsolete model that has been replaced with a better one (model 25223), using a new type of battery designated G-MAX. You can buy it from Lowe's (only) for $349, which is $100 less than the Amazon price for the old model. Also, it has larger 10" rear wheels, one more height position (7 .vs. 6), and most importantly a higher maximum cutting height (3-1/2" .vs. 3-1/8"). Also, be advised that the 19" cut rating is a big exageration, since the actual blade length is closer to 17.5" (I measured it on the display model at my local Lowe's store). Don't worry about the key; just leave it permanently installed inside the battery compartment. You don't start the mower with the key; it's just an unnecessary nanny state device to protect children and fools. You actually start the mower by pressing a button on the handlebar while pulling back on the bail bar. The key plays no part in this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_421870-5339...rentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

Also, check out the new twin blade 20" model 25302 for only $50 more. I just bought one and it rocks !

http://www.lowes.com/pd_421870-5339...rentURL=?Ns=p_product_avg_rating|1&facetInfo=

sporkk

Threads
very helpful thank you!

Still which one would I have better luck finding a replacement blade?

MowerMike

Threads
very helpful thank you!

Still which one would I have better luck finding a replacement blade?

Unfortunately, you won't find blades for any of them. To make matters worse, the twin blade model uses two different 10" blades, because one turns clockwise and the other turns counter-clockwise. However, unless you are careless and damage the blades, they will last for years. I sharpen all my mower blades w.o removing them from the mower, using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpening attachment. I do a much better job this way and remove very little material, so the blades last a long time.

sporkk

Threads
Unfortunately, you won't find blades for any of them. To make matters worse, the twin blade model uses two different 10" blades, because one turns clockwise and the other turns counter-clockwise. However, unless you are careless and damage the blades, they will last for years. I sharpen all my mower blades w.o removing them from the mower, using a Dremel tool with a blade sharpening attachment. I do a much better job this way and remove very little material, so the blades last a long time.

Thats odd because they sell blades for their corded models. They may last a long time but it still bugs me that you can't find one. I might hold off until they offer replacements or find another brand that does and has better customer service.

MowerMike

Threads
Thats odd because they sell blades for their corded models. They may last a long time but it still bugs me that you can't find one. I might hold off until they offer replacements or find another brand that does and has better customer service.

The Li-Ion models are very new and have not been on the market very long. The corded models and lead acid battery models have been on the market for years, which is why blades are readily available. The only other brand that sells mowers with Li-Ion batteries in the USA at present is Recharge Mower, but their products are a lot more expensive, although their customer service is much better. Otherwise, you can just buy a heavy B & D CM1936 for which blades are readily available.