Export thread

Belts keep breaking

M

MOMLOVESUALL

Mine is a 23/50 force cub cadet. My belts keep breaking. I'm thinking the pulleys are not right. Seem it shreads my new belts as fast as I can put them on? Any suggestions?

StarTech

StarTech

need the real model number.

M

MOMLOVESUALL

53aa5b7p712

sgkent

sgkent

are they shredding into long strings, showing cut marks, or small burned thru areas?

M

MOMLOVESUALL

Small burned through areas.

StarTech

StarTech

Sounds something stalling out either the deck drive and secondary drive belt. Probably an idler bearing failing. One idler in the main deck drive belt path and one in the secondary drive belt path. If it is the secondary belt one of the spindle may having a bearing failing.

Also make sure you are using the correct belts. A will fit belt sometimes give problems as it is not the right length and width. Plus check all v pulleys for wear.

M

MOMLOVESUALL

And Serial # is 2E035Z00027

M

MOMLOVESUALL

OK thanks Will do

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Check all idlers and spindles. Spin them. If any spin free but makes noise it needs replaced. Any that have rough or tight spots when spun need replaced. Double check that all belt guides are on the correct side of the belts. Check any belt guides on idler pulleys are in the correct position. Double check belt routing. Can you post a pic of a ruined belt?

B

bertsmobile1

Belts burn because they sit stationary against a spinning pulley
This happens because the tension is too low so when for instance the blades jamb because of build up under the deck rather than stalling the engine the engine continues to spin and burns the belt .
Usually you can smell & see this because jus like idiots doing burn outs in their cars, it makes a lot of smoke & the burning rubber smell .

Belts shred because they run against some thing that does not rotate so they slide & tear
Usual cause is having them on the wrong side of a belt keeper ( very very very common ) or a frozen bearing in an idler .

M

MOMLOVESUALL

Check all idlers and spindles. Spin them. If any spin free but makes noise it needs replaced. Any that have rough or tight spots when spun need replaced. Double check that all belt guides are on the correct side of the belts. Check any belt guides on idler pulleys are in the correct position. Double check belt routing. Can you post a pic of a ruined belt?
Sorry threw the away.

M

MOMLOVESUALL

Thanks picking up a new belt in the morning. Double checking everything. Thanks I will let you know how everything goes!

J

jerrycmorrow

Have you had this mower a while? Did it ever NOT ruin belts?

StarTech

StarTech

I have a Hustler in the shop now where an idler pulley bearing is going bad causi9ng it to destroy belts. When off the deck free spining the pulley as it slows there is notable catching of the bnearing. This would be made worst under the belt tension load. Several years I had Husqvarna that was snapping Kevlar belts because of the same thing. The bearing would hang when not in use and the customer engaged the deck the belt would snap in two.

R

RLW_LT2138

Our cub was eating belts. I fixed it be repacking the spindles. Take them apart and clean and regrease. Using the grease gun did not do it!

S

slomo

Using the grease gun did not do it!
It would have if you greased them sooner. And go clean you cooling fins while you are at it. LOL

StarTech

StarTech

Most likely they were sealed bearing installed in a greaseable spindle. OEM had been doing this for a while now as seal bearing are cheaper to buy. Most times I have to pop the inner seal on new grreasable spindle bearing before I even install the spindles. Sealed bearing seals just seal off tighter when try to force grease into the bearing.

S

slomo

Get one of those crack dealer special needles and shoot some grease into them.

Or do this.

C

CaptFerd

I had this exact mower with the same exact problem. It took me a while to figure it out but I did. Problem is tha

S

slomo

I had this exact mower with the same exact problem. It took me a while to figure it out but I did. Problem is tha
Good point Ferd. Those darn........ ;)

Joe Z

Joe Z

Our cub was eating belts. I fixed it be repacking the spindles. Take them apart and clean and regressed. Using the grease gun did not do it!
The grease gun will not work if the bearing is sealed on the inner side. Why
Mine is a 23/50 force cub cadet. My belts keep breaking. I'm thinking the pulleys are not right. Seem it shreads my new belts as fast as I can put them on? Any suggestions?
Not to repeat what was already said I read a few of the comments. Did not read all of them but the few I did read gave some good information/ advice. If your bearings are bad it is not too difficult to replace them. When you buy new bearings geese them before installing. I had them delivered with very little grease. Let us know how it turns out.

R

rustycat

I have a Craftsman 48" deck and when I got it I found the original belts cracked and dried up. I ordered new belts after market brands and one of them lasted not even a mowing season and the other just one and a half mowing seasons. I guess the brand of belts makes a big difference.
Ied

M

MOMLOVESUALL

Thanks picking up a new belt in the morning. Double checking everything. Thanks I will let you know how everything goes!
Lots of good info from all you guys! It was sitting for a couple of years. The old man sold it to me for $350! Yes, that's it. I bought two pulleys, a belt and replaced a big spring. She's running like a champ. Belt was wrong size. About half inch larger. Guy was selling me wrong size. Got the larger one from a different place! Thanks much for helping everyone, your help is really appreciated! Stay safe? MOMLOVESUALL. AUSTIN, Indiana.

M

MOMLOVESUALL

Lots of good info from all you guys! It was sitting for a couple of years. The old man sold it to me for $350! Yes, that's it. I bought two pulleys, a belt and replaced a big spring. She's running like a champ. Belt was wrong size. About half inch larger. Guy was selling me wrong size. Got the larger one from a different place! Thanks much for helping everyone, your help is really appreciated! Stay safe? MOMLOVESUALL. AUSTIN, Indiana.
Happy Mowing! So many people trying to buy this off me. Just gonna keep her!

sgkent

sgkent

(y)

Dicks mower parts

Dicks mower parts

Check for bent guide

A

a022mil

Had a husquava 38 inch mower that kept breaking belts, found out the problem was a broken frame, replaced frame,ok since.

L

Lbutler225

I had a similar problem. I was buying cheap belts off of amazon, best to buy the best belt.