Belts keep breaking

MOMLOVESUALL

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine is a 23/50 force cub cadet. My belts keep breaking. I'm thinking the pulleys are not right. Seem it shreads my new belts as fast as I can put them on? Any suggestions?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
need the real model number.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
are they shredding into long strings, showing cut marks, or small burned thru areas?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds something stalling out either the deck drive and secondary drive belt. Probably an idler bearing failing. One idler in the main deck drive belt path and one in the secondary drive belt path. If it is the secondary belt one of the spindle may having a bearing failing.

Also make sure you are using the correct belts. A will fit belt sometimes give problems as it is not the right length and width. Plus check all v pulleys for wear.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check all idlers and spindles. Spin them. If any spin free but makes noise it needs replaced. Any that have rough or tight spots when spun need replaced. Double check that all belt guides are on the correct side of the belts. Check any belt guides on idler pulleys are in the correct position. Double check belt routing. Can you post a pic of a ruined belt?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts burn because they sit stationary against a spinning pulley
This happens because the tension is too low so when for instance the blades jamb because of build up under the deck rather than stalling the engine the engine continues to spin and burns the belt .
Usually you can smell & see this because jus like idiots doing burn outs in their cars, it makes a lot of smoke & the burning rubber smell .

Belts shred because they run against some thing that does not rotate so they slide & tear
Usual cause is having them on the wrong side of a belt keeper ( very very very common ) or a frozen bearing in an idler .