Belts changed , no speed

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I keep my mower very clean and housed in a garden shed. My pride and joy as such.
I've checked all the springs I can see , my concern is a spring has disappeared ie broken and therefore I wouldn't pick it up as I'm not familiar with every spring and where it should go. My model number is 13c2775s000, 2018 MTD 420cc powermore, 7 speed.

I did jave to move the tensioner arm to get the old tensioner pulley off to replace it...could it be I didn't put it back in the position is should be ? The tensioner spring is in good condition and replaced as I found it.
I had to tilt the mower slightly to get under and get the front pulley nut loose. Could this have upset something ?
I've followed the gear rod it rattles , should it ?
Is there usually a spring from the rod to somewhere ? Sorry if I'm a little vague, this is all new to me and without a manual of the underbelly and layout, parts etc, it's really difficult.

Your main drive belt has no tensioner? According to the Partstree diagram, it's a straight shot to the engine. So just to be sure, the belt is secure around the engine pulley?
Also, the transmission linkage from the pedal is correct?

Or am I looking at the wrong diagram?

CubCadet.jpg

Boomer99

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the belt was shredded I suspect a pully or tranny. The issue for me is in many years I have seen belts break mostly due to bearings going out on the spindles. If the best is shredded it is more than likely a spindle bearing or a pulley bearing. This causes the belt to break. If the blades didn't shred it you might just have to bite the $ bullet and get a shop to look at it. If you're like me - find a way to pick the front end up - do you see the underbelly easily and all of it - then pull the belts off and examine every pully for even a slight wobble. One last thing - you have to free up that pedal. Most likely the spring isn't tight enough. Spray the pedal mechanism and work it free with no tension on it. HOPE THIS HELPS
I wish I could take it somewhere but I'm in Panama and there's probably only 10 of these ride on in the country. No one to repair it but me. I've changed the tension pulley, and found new belt shredded too. Seems I put the rear transmission pulley on upside down ? Meaning the belt wasn't running level. I won't know until new belt arrives. I also think the aftermarket was too wide and not enough depth to it. But I also noticed a part on the foot pedal/ speed control rod appears to be broken. It sits in the lower gears but not in the high end gear. See attached. I don't know the name of it , to order a new one ? You can see the end of it is jagged , I'm assuming it's worn or broken ? Or should I be like this ? Total newbie here but I'm learning fast.

Attachments

• 20211108_113930.jpg
    20211108_113930.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 4

Boomer99

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your main drive belt has no tensioner? According to the Partstree diagram, it's a straight shot to the engine. So just to be sure, the belt is secure around the engine pulley?
Also, the transmission linkage from the pedal is correct?

Or am I looking at the wrong diagram?

View attachment 58896
Yes , the belt goes from the variable speed pulley straight to the front pulley. The variable has a tension spring and it's in excellent condition.
I did notice today when I was prepping to put new belts on when they arrive, that I put the rear transmission pulley on upside down. I think that caused the new belt not to run level. When I took off the aftermarket new belt it too was shredding on one side. So I have rectified that now. I also noticed that on the foot pedal / speed control rod ? There is a part that appears to be ragged. It sits in the sprocket like part in low gears but not in high gear. I don't know the name of this part to order a new one and I can't find it listed anywhere in the diagrams.
So I will await new belts which should be here tomorrow. I also noticed the sheath inside the variable would not go up and down with the aftermarket belts. Which confirms the belts are too wide ?

Attachments

• 20211108_113930.jpg
    20211108_113930.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With problems like this is is very hard for us to visualize exactly what is happening and where the problem is
We can help you a lot more if you would help us/
Remove the battery and either drain the fuel tank or block the fuel cap then stand the mower vertical on it's rear wheels
Support you camera and take some photos
At least 1 being the complete mower and a couple of close ups where the double pulley is, where the spring on the top pulley attaches to the frame
Variable sheave belts are shallower in cross section than a standard belt of the same width
A belt that shreds is usually because it is routed wrong or one of the pulleys that should rotate is not rotating.

Boomer99

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the belt was shredded I suspect a pully or tranny. The issue for me is in many years I have seen belts break mostly due to bearings going out on the spindles. If the best is shredded it is more than likely a spindle bearing or a pulley bearing. This causes the belt to break. If the blades didn't shred it you might just have to bite the $ bullet and get a shop to look at it. If you're like me - find a way to pick the front end up - do you see the underbelly easily and all of it - then pull the belts off and examine every pully for even a slight wobble. One last thing - you have to free up that pedal. Most likely the spring isn't tight enough. Spray the pedal mechanism and work it free with no tension on it. HOPE THIS HELPS
Ok, mtd belts arrived and I've replaced the upper and lower drive belts . New tensioner pulley. The bearing had disintegrated. This I think is what caused the belt to shred. I have 2 questions.
The rod from the end or front of the pedal that attaches to the brake ? On the transaxle? It's like a small round disc, that has a spring and when parking brake is off this arm rattles and wobbles around. The pedal on the opposite side to this rod has the speed arm and speed latch that sits in the teeth on the pedal. They are not touching as I move through the speed control from 1 to 7....should they ? Logic says yes...otherwise how else would The machine know which speed I want. It seems the pedal may have moved out of position?

I've checked all belts and there is no rubbing , that sound is coming from under the seat in the pulley area I think. And I feel is related to the no speed and pedal issue.