Belt maintanace

Shughes717

Lawn Addict
Threads
I know there are different opinions on just about everything. I can totally see carscw's point. I have seen belts get dry and cracked over time. They don't last much longer after that. Using belt dressing to prevent the belt from drying seems like a simple solution to me. Kinda like greasing bearings and cleaning the air filter on the engine.

Nwatson99

Threads
Dad use to apply that all the time and I applied it for him on his stuff as well, but I have not used it on my mowers and was thinking about doing that this winter on my ZT.
Now my zt sits in my garage and it does not freeze in there either so I am not too worried about extreme cold weathering it, but the thought has been on my mind about it using it and more than likely will pick some up.

Bison

Threads
I am not even going to say anything.
You just did anyway:tongue:

belt dressing? That is about like treating a cancer patient with narcotics. They might seem happy, but you create a sick junky, always in need of a fix and likely to die sooner...
Only use belt dressing on belts you're planning to replace anyway, and make sure you clean the dressing off the pulleys before putting on the new belt.
Its better to spend money on quality kevlar belts than cans of dressing in my opinion.
I check and adjust belts twice a season, and run them 'till they fall apart. I've been waiting for one of my drive belts to let go all season, but the kevlar is holding strong :laughing:
A good quality belt properly tensioned and running on good pulleys doesn't need no snake oil.
:thumbsup:

Bob E

Threads
The dressing causes belts to swell and delaminate. You have to figure these $20,000 engines at this track are probably working beyond the limit of the average fan/accessory belt. Too much slip will kill the belt quickly on the track. So, they hose it down with dressing and buy a new belt for each race.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The dressing causes belts to swell and delaminate. You have to figure these $20,000 engines at this track are probably working beyond the limit of the average fan/accessory belt. Too much slip will kill the belt quickly on the track. So, they hose it down with dressing and buy a new belt for each race.

I go about 5 races on belts and hoses.

Change oil and both oil filters every race.

We all have ways we do things. I don't think any of us are wrong we are just different.

I know I guy bought a new mower this year and breaks a belt about every 100 hours. So every 3 weeks that's a $100

Bison

Threads
I go about 5 races on belts and hoses.

Change oil and both oil filters every race.

We all have ways we do things. I don't think any of us are wrong we are just different.

I know I guy bought a new mower this year and breaks a belt about every 100 hours. So every 3 weeks that's a $100
There's got to be a cause for that.

Could be a misaligned and/or improperly tensioned belt(to much slip or to tight).
Or a cheap chinese belt.
Or a stiff bearing in a belt pulley or the belt is catching on something something sharp.
To much HP putting to much strain on the belt when cutting tall grass or cutting with a clogged deck.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
There's got to be a cause for that. Could be a misaligned and/or improperly tensioned belt(to much slip or to tight). Or a cheap chinese belt. Or a stiff bearing in a belt pulley or the belt is catching on something something sharp. To much HP putting to much strain on the belt when cutting tall grass or cutting with a clogged deck.

I will save this thread and post next time his belt breaks using dressing on it.

It is a new $12.000 mower

Bison

Threads
I will save this thread and post next time his belt breaks using dressing on it.

It is a new $12.000 mower
And????
New doesn't mean there can't be a problem from the get go
If Ye think factory quality control is laying every machine coming from the assembly line under the microscope,..think again.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have never used belt dressing. Can't imagine how it could extend the life of a belt. But I don't live in the cold climate some of you do. I suppose that sub zero temperatures could be real problem with materials that need to remain pliable. I still can't imagine what you could put on a belt that might help, even in those conditions. If I had problem with belts breaking, I might try it but, it's never been an issue for me and I have more belts than most, I suppose.

It occurs to me that I can't ever remember having a belt fail. I have replaced a bunch of them, but I don't think I have ever had one fail. I guess I'm changing them too often. The cost of most belts is fairly negligible compared to the cost of being "Inoperable", or the damage caused by the belt breaking.