Mower deck Belt Issue, 2006 Phazer, 44 inch deck

BillScott

Threads
I've had my Phazer for almost 8 years. I had a fuel problem, and had a local eXmark dealer fix it. He told me that some pulleys on the deck needed replacement, so I authorized him to fix or replace ANYTHING that he felt was needed throughout the entire mower. After getting the mower back, at first it worked great, but the main belt kept coming off. I took it back and he replaced the bearing sleeve, and I believe the idler busing in the idler arm; however I noticed yesterday that the "new" flat Idler is not the same as the other flat idlers on the deck. I think it was identical before he replaced it. I seems to be wider than the other two and I suspect the belt has too much room to move between the top and bottom of the path. I have several hundred dollars in repairs over this issue so far, and I am not as concerned about the money as I am that this mower needs to be fixed.

If the new flat idler itself is not the problem, since we never had a problem with the belt over the past 8 years, I suspect when he changed a Flat Idler(s), it affected the alignment, but I can't find anywhere in the manual where the proper procedure for aligning the belt is discussed. Can you direct me to where I can get instructions for the proper procedure? I don't think the dealer knows how.

13X97/68SN4G2*200288*0034*00
6AXKS5852CB
FH58OV KAWASAKI 585N4CB
DATE PURCHASED: 9/2006
Thanks, Bill Scott

LazerZLandscaping

Threads
Is the belt too big for the deck? I went to the local eXmark dealer with belt problems and the techs were somehow putting on a bigger belt. And the belt kept falling off. Then when they finally put the right belt on, I was mowing one day, and I have NEVER seen this before, but they probably didn't tighten down the pulley's, and the pulley's fell off. These techs must not know what they are doing. My Lazer Z was still under warranty. I am never going to an eXmark dealer for repairs again. I'll just fix them myself.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I went to a xmark dealer they sold me a $110 belt that was 2 inches to small.
Called them they said would take 3 days to get my belt.

I put a longer spring in the idler pulley.
Been running it for 3 months now.
Ordered the right belt off eBay for $42
Now I have a spare.

BillScott

Threads
Thanks, Guys. We've gone through 2 belts so far. The first belt lasted 7 years. I've seen these advertised for <$20. I've never been charged $110 for a belt. This is got to be a simple issue for someone who has been through this before. Surely, I'm not the first person to experience this problem.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
This is the average price
image-3958016487.jpg

BillScott

Threads
That's about $5 cheaper, but the part number doesn't match up to the one in the parts manual.
I just ordered a Lazer E Series, and I will fix this 2006 Phazer and try to sell it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
My toro belt is 138 inches Most times I get them off eBay

Belt broke halfway threw a yard emark dealer was 2 miles. Going home to switch mowers would have took a hour so was cheaper in the long run to pay the extra $70.

Most days I carry two mowers but not on the day I needed to.