BB Maverick surging under lower rpms

UFLBret

Threads
Hello all, I bought a Bad Boy Maverick on Sunday at the local Rural King. Ran it about an hour Sunday evening and everything went great. I really enjoyed mowing with it vs my old Gravely ZTX-52. Yesterday evening I mowed my back pastures and again, it mowed fantastic. When i was done, i brought it back to the shed and set parking brake and lowered throttle and it started surging almost like it was starving for fuel or something. Dropped it all the way to idle and it continued. As soon as i throttled all the way up the surging went away but if it is half or less throttle the surging just continues. It also backfired once throttling down from full throttle to idle. The mower has 2.5 hours on it now so this is pretty frustrating. Any ideas what I should check for before I bring it in under warranty? I fueled up with 4 gal of 87 octane gas straight from the pump at a high volume station on my way home yesterday. I was thinking about pulling the fuel filter tonight when i get home just to make sure that nothing is causing a blockage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Sounds like a blocked/plugged idle circuit in the carburetor... i'd let the warranty folks take care of it. you may the void warranty if you mess with it. sometimes they're picky about stuff like that,

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sounds like a blocked/plugged idle circuit in the carburetor... i'd let the warranty folks take care of it. you may the void warranty if you mess with it. sometimes they're picky about stuff like that,
Good advice for a just purchase new mower. The problem will be Rural King would to send it to one their contracted repair centers.

UFLBret

Threads
Good advice for a just purchase new mower. The problem will be Rural King would to send it to one their contracted repair centers.
I found one not far from me, i just went to the BB website, I know better than to let RK try and wrench on my stuff. :)

UFLBret

Threads
Follow up: Kudos to Rural King of Ocala, they stepped it up and replaced the mower with a new one. I ended up having to pay $300 to upgrade to the Honda engine which i wasn't too happy about but they didn't have any of the Kawi's left so I bent a little. I couldn't afford to be without a mower in the peak of the season. It ended up being something with the carburetor float bowl. It was also leaking fuel (which was my last straw since it was leaking onto the muffler) I gave them the opportunity to try and fix it when I brought it in and they played around with it for about 30 minutes but as soon as they put the float bowl back on the carb and it still leaked i said "You're switching this one out", and they did.
Ran the new one for about an hour when I got home in my front pasture and it did well. As good as the Kawi did cutting but at idle this one is quiet as a church mouse. Hope it lasts.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting
I was under the impression that Honda had abandoned the ride on mower engine market
Is this a horizontal shaft Honda engine
The only ones I have seen for a long while are in small skid steers .

UFLBret

Threads
Bert, it is the Honda GXV 688cc.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting
Honda was supposed to have ceased production of the GXV series over 200 cc back in 2012.
Does it have the universal crank case with bolt holes for both horizontal & vertical mounting ?

UFLBret

Threads
15 hour follow-up: I absolutely LOVE my Bad Boy Maverick 54"! The 688cc Honda engine is a beast and noticeably quieter than the Kawasaki. Even though it is a smaller displacement, I have had zero issues of bogging or anything else. It is extremely fuel efficient as well. I really enjoy the bushing suspension although I have learned that I need to be cognizant of its limitations in the fact that it can scalp during the compression cycle of the bushings. This is where a suspension seat may be of more benefit as a rigid suspension will follow land contours better. It's a trade-off i guess. I'm overdue for first oil change but can already tell it will be much easier to complete than the POS engineering of my old Gravely.