BB Maverick surging under lower rpms

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Honda makes good engines no issues that I know of. Like the other guys said I haven't seen a Honda engine on a new mower in years.

Mower King

Threads
Honda makes good engines no issues that I know of. Like the other guys said I haven't seen a Honda engine on a new mower in years.
If I'm not mistaken, my boss told me some of the 2022 Bad Boys she ordered, have Hondas......since this B&S fiasco....she ordered Kaw, Kohler and Hondas....NO B&S engines! She also said BB dropped Yamaha engines, I think only because lack of availability!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Kinda of surprised they dropped Yamaha for anything other than supply issues, to me they are very close to Honda in build quality.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have yet to see a Yamaha engine on a mower but like Scrub said probably real close to Honda in quality.

Mower King

Threads
I have yet to see a Yamaha engine on a mower but like Scrub said probably real close to Honda in quality.
BB had a 33hp Yamaha EFI engine and a few others, on some 2021 mowers

Last edited:

BigBlueEdge

Threads
Bad Boy has used Yamaha engines for a long time. In fact, the dealer where I bought mine last spring only orders them with Yamaha engines (unless someone specifically requests another one). The Yamaha on my 2021 Rogue is a 37hp EFI.

cpolarbear

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, I bought a Bad Boy Maverick on Sunday at the local Rural King. Ran it about an hour Sunday evening and everything went great. I really enjoyed mowing with it vs my old Gravely ZTX-52. Yesterday evening I mowed my back pastures and again, it mowed fantastic. When i was done, i brought it back to the shed and set parking brake and lowered throttle and it started surging almost like it was starving for fuel or something. Dropped it all the way to idle and it continued. As soon as i throttled all the way up the surging went away but if it is half or less throttle the surging just continues. It also backfired once throttling down from full throttle to idle. The mower has 2.5 hours on it now so this is pretty frustrating. Any ideas what I should check for before I bring it in under warranty? I fueled up with 4 gal of 87 octane gas straight from the pump at a high volume station on my way home yesterday. I was thinking about pulling the fuel filter tonight when i get home just to make sure that nothing is causing a blockage.
If at all possible, I'd recommend finding ethanol-free gas to run in your machine. Much better for small engines, especially for your seals.

lugbolt

Threads
most everything built in the last 10 years or so is rated and built to work fine with E10 fuel.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
most everything built in the last 10 years or so is rated and built to work fine with E10 fuel.
Think everyone agrees E-10 is deadly to OPE equipment.

Yes most toys are rated for E-10.

Doesn't mean you won't have issues on it. As in less mpg, less hp, harder cold starts, water in fuel system and fuel system corrosion. All well know issues with E-10.

On one truck at work, 2016 Suburban. It gets 12 mpg on real gas. 9 on E-10. Info coming from the trucks computer as average mpg. In this vehicle, equates to a 25% loss in mpg and noticeable lack of power.

So E-10 gets you 9 miles down the road on one gallon. On real gas, truck is 3 miles ahead of you. By the time you buy another 1/3 of a gallon to = that 12 mile distance, cost savings is ZERO. Or in today's Joe Biden prices, costs you more to drive on E-10.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
E-10 was introduced as a quick & dirty way to meet the initial world agreed emissions reductions.
The logic behind it is you burn 1.75 C-H4 ethanol molecules to get the same Hp as 1 C8-H18 ( petrol )
This is a bit simplified but basically because the ratio of H to C in ethanol is 4:1 and Octane is 2,25:1 ,so for the same energy, ethanol puts out 1.75 CO2 molecules and 3,5 H20 molecules where as petrol puts out 6 CO2 & 9 H20 molecules so less CO2 comes out the tail pipe.
When I used to be involved in racing, the same size engine would run a 450-500 main jet on ethanol as compared to a 300-325 main jet for petrol .
Sounds all warn & fuzzy in theory, save the planet less CO2 but in reality it is like urinating in the ocean unless we move to gasahol which is 85 to 90 and what South Africa ran during the BS trade embargo days & I think Brazil still runs to reduce foreign debt from buying crude .
Converting to strait Hydrogen is a far better way of doing the same thing except distributing hydrogen is a problem as it has a bad habit of going BANG, big time.
Trains & heavy transport will most likely go to hydrogen
Cat & JCB are already supplying hydrogen engines for heavy equipment where batteries would end up weighing more than the bulldoze they were trying to push.