Battery won’t stay charged b&s 26hp

Wheretostart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I recently inherited a husqvarna gth2654 and it was having battery issues. I replaced the battery with a newish battery out my John Deere gator, I checked the stator and voltage regulator and both was reading the right volts. I replaced the starter and solenoid. I also replaced the ignition switch. With the voltage meter on the battery while running high rpms it was actually charging it slowly. I crunk it up a couple times to check cause originally it wouldn’t crank unless I had the jumper box hooked up. Then after that first crank, after shut up I had nothing. What else could it be?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing you need to do is to check all electrical connections, making sure they are clean and tight. Don’t forget the ground to chassis connection. Second you need to have the battery load tested to find out if it is really good. Your local auto parts store normally does this for free, but make sure you charge the battery first. If it is good you need to test the charging system using the procedure listed in this manual. I know that the manual may not be correct for your engine, but I’m guessing as you provide no engine numbers. If the battery and charging system test good, post back with all unit and engine numbers and we will give you more guidance. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1207216/Briggs-And-Stratton-276781.html

Wheretostart

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, yesterday I replaced all the wires coming from the battery. I cleaned off the spot where the ground mounted to the frame. When I check all the voltage from stator and regulator both was right in the range they should be. I’m currently not around the mower for numbers or anything. I’m leaning towards maybe a wire not getting the right connection somewhere

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since parts are being thrown at it replace the PTO switch, brake/clutch switch, and a complete wiring harness.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check the battery leads by using a set of boosters to jump from the battery directly to the starter & engine ( ground ) one at a time thus bypassing them.
BAttery cables can measure goos but be unable to carry the heavy current needed to run the starter and mowers in particular use battery cables that are just barely big enough to start a brand new engine in perfect tune .
After that do the same using a known good battery like your car /. truck

Having sorted that out try removing the spark plugs to see if it is a mechanical problem inside the engine
And with the plugs out check that both pistons are moving properly .

Threads
First thing you need to do is to check all electrical connections, making sure they are clean and tight. Don’t forget the ground to chassis connection. Second you need to have the battery load tested to find out if it is really good. Your local auto parts store normally does this for free, but make sure you charge the battery first. If it is good you need to test the charging system using the procedure listed in this manual. I know that the manual may not be correct for your engine, but I’m guessing as you provide no engine numbers. If the battery and charging system test good, post back with all unit and engine numbers and we will give you more guidance. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1207216/Briggs-And-Stratton-276781.html
Do you have a link to my JD ZTrak engine: 44S9770045G1 I need to know the Voltage regulator part #

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have a link to my JD ZTrak engine: 44S9770045G1 I need to know the Voltage regulator part #
Look at Doug jumping in here LOL. Welcome to the best mower forum on the interscreen.