Battery question?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Good luck on your desulfating a battery. Its time for a new battery when its to that point. I find mower battery aren't that expensive to be messing with them.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The charger manufacturer manual spends lots of time about safety, explosive hydrogen gas, marine engine warnings , etc. After that there is a small paragraph on the desulfate mode. No warning about danger there and the function starts automatically . Doubtful this feature is dangerous or manufacturer would not offer it.

A forum question was asked. Readers responded with information. As always judgement rules. Yes the small bats last about 2-3 years and are only $30, but reliability within that time probably can be improved.

mullins87

Threads
No really big deal when desulfating and charging a battery, just treat it like a gas can and keep sources of ignition away from it.....which you should be doing anyway.

briggs

Threads
just buy a new battery there not that much

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, almost on cue this am (26 F) the battery charger on wife's car flashed "desulfate" for about 10 minutes and then stopped (to resume charging). This is on a 5 year old battery retailing for $125-$250 , depending where you shop. Relevance? It did not explode.

briggs

Threads
Well, almost on cue this am (26 F) the battery charger on wife's car flashed "desulfate" for about 10 minutes and then stopped (to resume charging). This is on a 5 year old battery retailing for $125-$250 , depending where you shop. Relevance? It did not explode.

car battery's last allot longer i have one in my truck its been there since 2003 its a gel battery i had for one of my race cars it will be coming out this month time for a new one i will use that one in my boat till it dies now my lawn tractor bat i can get about 3-4 years if i am lucky

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
just buy a new battery there not that much

I agree with this. Just about when you need a good battery its going to let you down. I find this more so on my ATV's or motorcycles. Also before a battery lets me down I really don't think too much about cost.

briggs

Threads
I agree with this. Just about when you need a good battery its going to let you down. I find this more so on my ATV's or motorcycles. Also before a battery lets me down I really don't think too much about cost.

10-4 on that one ...I do a load tests 3 times a year if it shows any sign of being faulty its gone