Bad Radius X Tires

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I does seem odd that 3 different sets of tires are out of round. Especially Carlisle. The only tire i ever had that was egg shaped had damaged cord from over inflation. Mower turf tires are relatively thin so once inflated they should be round. Like Bert i would be interested in measuring runout on the edge of the rims. I have installed some about as cheap as you can get cheng shin tires and never had one out of round.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It only take the wheel stud holes to be 1/128" off center and you rim will run out of round
We had to redrill the hub os a 2000 series cub wheel t=because they had allowed it to run with loose wheel nuts and this funny enough wore all the holes in the same direction so the wheel egged for want of a better description
I have some motorcycle sprockets where the mounting holes were jut the tiniest bit out of alignment but enough so every time you engine braked the chain jumped off the sprocket.
A friend jigged it up on his mill & redrilled the holes, problem solved.
And they were only out by a few thou.

Born2Mow

Threads
This can happen if you don't use tire mounting lube. The bead won't pop out and the side wall will dip inward at that position. The side wall being pulled in, then pulls the tread in, making the whole tire "wompy jawed". Tires typically have an indicator line that should be exposed and about 0.1" from the rim all the way around. This should be evident on BOTH sides of a correctly mounted tire. It typically happens due to lack of lube and/or not enough pressure applied during tire installation. These tires typically run 12-15psi, but you might need to momentarily apply 30-40psi to get the tire to "pop out" and seat correctly.

(NOTE: Wompy Jawed is a highly technical term used in the Deep South by professionals to denote things that ain't like they's supposed to be. Synonyms: un-Kosher, Royally screwed, SNAFU, cy-goggled, etc.)

sivicman

Threads
I got my mower back with 2 new Carlisle tires, and 1 new rim. It is still is the same. Tires are Chinese JUNK! There are only two major suppIiers, Carlisle & Kenda. I went to two other local dealers in town, one sold Scag, and the other sold Toro. Both head mechanics told me you can pull anyone of these brand new mowers out and drive them down the street and the tires will be out-of-round. They both said this is common for two reasons, one they are strapped down so tight in the crates for shipping, the other is the tires are junk. I was very pleased with my dealer trying to fix it, but Exmark would only allow them to do so much. So in the end Exmark did not fix the problem. The customer service rep for Exmark in Nebraska said it's not a safety issue.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
still think you are being sold a line.
if tyres were that bad this forum woulg be seeing threads like yours on a daily basis

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Maybe the OP can jack up the rear end and video the rear tires rotating with the phone not being hand held but setting on something so we get a steady reference. I would like to see the egg shaped tires slowly rotating.

sivicman

Threads
still think you are being sold a line.
if tyres were that bad this forum woulg be seeing threads like yours on a daily basis
I don't really believe that, because I'm 1% of the customers that would complain about this. Like the mechanics said, the majority of customers could care less about out-of-round tires, cause cutting grass is not a smooth surface.