Bad Boy ZT Elite vs. Gravely ZT HD

D

DSepe

Like most of us when we began shopping ZTR's.......you've progressed from considering a Gravely ZT HD and Bad Boy ZT Elite to looking to buy a Toro Z-Master 2000 or Snapper Pro(a quantum leap:0) For what you are mowing, the 48" Z-Master will be plenty large enough and IMHO the 52" Snapper Pro was a little bit large of a deck for your needs. We all tend to get more than we really need(I've only got a 1.5 acre lot I and bought a 52" Commercial Gravely:0) But for the price difference between the Bad Boy and the Z-Master you will have a machine that will most likely outlive you!! That's why I "overbought" as a "retirement investment". I figure my son and possibly my grandson will get many years of service out of my Gravely when I'm gone and no longer need it!!
I had the same problem also. I was looking at a 8 thousand dollar bob-cat before I realized that was way overkill for my 1.3 acre lot. Good idea over buying with the thought of handing it down to your kid or grandkid though.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I had the same problem also. I was looking at a 8 thousand dollar bob-cat before I realized that was way overkill for my 1.3 acre lot. Good idea over buying with the thought of handing it down to your kid or grand-kid though.

Over buying or overkill is something that most people talk themselves into and if they don't talk themselves into it a salesman will do it for them. Buying a mower, a blower or trimmer it's all the same, your not buying enough for the job or your buying to much for the job. I've seen it all to often that people rely on ads from home depot or lowes that really don't represent the product there looking to or need to buy to get home and find that it really doesn't do the job.
Buying with the thought of handing it down to your kid or grand-kid although a good thought is really something you shouldn't worry about. Hey if it happens fine but in today's market where 90% of what you buy today being throw a way items I think it or that thought is pretty irrelevant.

NickTF

Threads
I can certainly appreciate Ric's input, it is good to bring balance into forums which often, much like the salesman, push you into something you don't really need. I am expecting the mowers I've selected to be way overkill but then again I drive around a low 12 second 12v mechanical dodge diesel that is way overkill. If I google about my Cub LT1050 all I hear is bad stuff. After putting on bagger blades for high lift and great deck discharge and replacing the pos factory oil drain with a pipe nipple, 90, and a plug I couldn't be happier with the machine and it has been great through 154 hours to date. Everyone has to find their happy medium. Again, I'm buying this machine with the intentions of cutting yards on the side and I've always found investing in top shelf equipment makes the job 10 times as enjoyable!

D

DSepe

I can certainly appreciate Ric's input, it is good to bring balance into forums which often, much like the salesman, push you into something you don't really need. I am expecting the mowers I've selected to be way overkill but then again I drive around a low 12 second 12v mechanical dodge diesel that is way overkill. If I google about my Cub LT1050 all I hear is bad stuff. After putting on bagger blades for high lift and great deck discharge and replacing the pos factory oil drain with a pipe nipple, 90, and a plug I couldn't be happier with the machine and it has been great through 154 hours to date. Everyone has to find their happy medium. Again, I'm buying this machine with the intentions of cutting yards on the side and I've always found investing in top shelf equipment makes the job 10 times as enjoyable!

Yep good equipment that works consistently trumps any premium you have to pay. I had a POS Poulan trimmer I fought for 8 years before I broke down and got a Stihl...worth every extra penny I spent just so I don't have the hassle anymore.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yep good equipment that works consistently trumps any premium you have to pay. I had a POS Poulan trimmer I fought for 8 years before I broke down and got a Stihl...worth every extra penny I spent just so I don't have the hassle anymore.

I think there's good quality equipment that can be had without having to pay a premium price, especially for the residential operators. I've always been someone who believed in buying the right equipment for a job and paying the premium for someone like myself who depends on a piece of equipment for a living is another thing entirely.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I think there's good quality equipment that can be had without having to pay a premium price, especially for the residential operators. I've always been someone who believed in buying the right equipment for a job and paying the premium for someone like myself who depends on a piece of equipment for a living is another thing entirely.

The problem with that is that we homeowners want to have what the big boys use:0)

And, like you, we want to feel comfortable that when we need the equipment it just works....aside from regular maintenance we don't have to worry about the inconvenience of breakdowns or the expense of repairs. My thought, since I was getting ready to retire, was that I could spend a little more up front and then I wouldn't have any major surprise expenses on a retirement budget(like a major repair or even worse replacing a ZTR). When you do the math on price and years of trouble free service overkill starts making sense even for a homeowner like me.

D

DSepe

All I'm saying is I'd rather buy a homeowner trimmer built by Stihl from a dealer that might be considered a premium by some to have it work properly. With that cheap trimmer it was a hassle to get working from year 1 on. Had the Stihl for 6 years with zero problems. Besides it's not like I bought a commercial grade trimmer....but I see your point.

NickTF

Threads
48" Z-Master 2000 on the way! Got a $900 trade on my cub and the z-master for $6000! Only thing I can find to be concerned about is the 20.5hp rating of the Kawasaki fx motor but considering it is the exact same bore and stroke and compression as the motors advertised at slightly more hp within the fx series I'm not even certain there is a difference. Machine won't be here for two weeks so have to exercise patience!

NickTF

Threads
http://www.lawnsite.com/archive/index.php/t-376248.html

My suspicion seems confirmed. From what I gather the difference is only in throttle shaft of the carb. My 651 is identical to the 730 except that the 730 opens the carb farther than my 651. Just checked the part numbers, the throttle shafts are different but the jets are the same between the 651 and 730.

Last edited:
D

DSepe

Awesome!...may it serve you well. That 2 week wait is a killer though lol