B&S won't start

gbsk

Threads
I do get a spark. Ithought if you do NOT get a spark, then the check the stop switch and stop wire. What else can it be? Thank you.

Is this the one...? make sure you have a spark, also make sure that the stop wire (356) page 7 is in the switch stop (621) and is not going to earth (ground) if you have no spark test the coil.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
You need compression, fuel and then a spark, you say you have good compression and fuel into the carb, you say you have put fuel into the venturi and into the spark plug hole but it will not fire up, so check them again making sure you don't have a partly sheared flywheel key.

DaveTN

Threads
In one of your earlier posts you said you saw the primer bulb squirt fuel into the carburetor, and that it still would not fire off. So it has to be something in the ignition. Possibly the coil wire (kill switch wire) grounding out between the coil and the switch. If it doesn't have points that would kill the fire, it would have to be in the wire. Either that or the whole coil is bad. Try pulling the wire off the clip on the coil and see if it gets fire. Could also be an internal break in the kill switch wire. When you said: "I repaired the cable and it seems like it works fine when the cable is not attached to the mower. When I attach the cable to the mower, the throttle does not move the mechanism that moves the spring attached on top of the carburetor." That tells me that the throttle shaft itself may be stuck! Have you physically tried to move the throttle plate on top of the carburetor? Try squirting some WD-40 on it and move it back and forth gently. Might free up. Hope this helps.

chance123

Threads
I do get a spark. Ithought if you do NOT get a spark, then the check the stop switch and stop wire. What else can it be? Thank you.

There are so many variables here so since you are getting spark, I'll start by asking "are you trying to start it with the air filter "and" air filter screw removed? With "some" of these carbs to be test run WITHOUT the air filter, you still need the air filter screw screwed in. (that screw goes through the choke butterfly and into your tank) Otherwise fuel from the tank will enter the carb through that screw hole and give too much fuel entering the engine and flooding it out. Try putting that screw in and starting it. If there is already too much fuel in the engine, take a small screw driver in the throat of the carb to restrict the choke from closing. You "might" have to pull it many times to eliminate that excess fuel. See if it wicks up. Wait a minute. Did you say it has a primer bulb? if so, disregard.

gbsk

Threads
The numbers correspond. However, it is hard to tell by a diagram. The flywheel guard I have is a grill on the top. The one in the diagram is one that goes around the perimeter. I will try to find out what the stop wire, the switch stop and where the coil are located and get back to you.

Thank you very much for the answer. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it with carb cleaner. I am getting a spark as my wife looked before. The flywheel key was not sheared. I used fine metal sandpaper to clean the magnet on the flywheel and the two parts on the magneto that come into contact with the flywheel. The flywheel spins fine as I left a gap between the magneto and flywheel of business card thickness. I put everything together and pulled the starting rope and it pulled out but would not recoil. This was the very original problem but it happened again. When I take the shroud off, the rope recoils right away. When it is on the shaft that the flywheel is on, it will not recoil. How do I fix this? I already took the spring out earlier and put the starter mechanism back together so I know that is not the problem. It is just when the shroud is on the flywheel.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The manual that I have for that model is only showing with elc start, so will need to see a photo of the one you have to be of any help to you. if you can post a photo showing underside.

chance123

Threads
When it is on the shaft that the flywheel is on, it will not recoil. How do I fix this? I already took the spring out earlier and put the starter mechanism back together so I know that is not the problem. It is just when the shroud is on the flywheel.

OK this is an easy one. First off, when the shroud is off, does that square recoil clutch rotate freely? (it will only rotate in one direction) I am assuming that you have that type of recoil. If that's the case, install the shroud pull the rope out and if it doesn't go back in, leave the rope out. Then tap with a hammer all around the upper part of the shroud where the rope goes in. When you tap the sweet spot, the rope should go back in. remember that sweet spot and repeat. It sounds like your shroud might have been hit and threw it out of alignment. It doesn't take much to do this which will cause your problem.

gbsk

Threads
Thank you for the reply. The recoil clutch rotates freely in one direction. I put the shroud on and tapped the upper part of the shroud but nothing happened. I did not want to do it more or harder because I was afraid of bending the metal.

OK this is an easy one. First off, when the shroud is off, does that square recoil clutch rotate freely? (it will only rotate in one direction) I am assuming that you have that type of recoil. If that's the case, install the shroud pull the rope out and if it doesn't go back in, leave the rope out. Then tap with a hammer all around the upper part of the shroud where the rope goes in. When you tap the sweet spot, the rope should go back in. remember that sweet spot and repeat. It sounds like your shroud might have been hit and threw it out of alignment. It doesn't take much to do this which will cause your problem.

chance123

Threads
Thank you for the reply. The recoil clutch rotates freely in one direction. I put the shroud on and tapped the upper part of the shroud but nothing happened. I did not want to do it more or harder because I was afraid of bending the metal.

When you tap this part as I explained, don't tap down, tap inward toward the center.

gbsk

Threads
Chance,

Thank you for the response. I got a rubber mallet and tapped the sides of the shroudtowards the center as you indicated. Nothing happened. I thought I tapped fairly hard. Do I need to tap harder? I don't want to make it owrse.

Thanks

When you tap this part as I explained, don't tap down, tap inward toward the center.