B&S Valve Adjustment Hiccup (Murphy's law & not a pro)

oldlawnguy

Threads
  • / B&S Valve Adjustment Hiccup (Murphy's law & not a pro)
I'm not a shop guy. No way would I spend 8 hours as you did. Your parts came out great BTW.

Now you need to lap the head and block surfaces LOL. :p :ROFLMAO: Some 220 grit, 400 and 800 wet/dry paper should do it. Piece of plate glass and get to rubbing. Wax on, wax off.
:ROFLMAO: thanks, yeah got a bit anal on the clean-up, but want to do it correctly. To me your a "shop guy" while I'm just a grasshopper.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
:ROFLMAO: thanks, yeah got a bit anal on the clean-up, but want to do it correctly. To me your a "shop guy" while I'm just a grasshopper.
You learned the proper life thing to do it correctly and to finish the task at hand. What did you sit in front of the TV polishing your head? Oh that came out wrong LOL. Cleaning your mower parts at least? LOL

oldlawnguy

Threads
Solvents that evaporate fast have small molecules which can penetrate crud easily
As for which solvent , it is all about what radical is on each end .
bertsmobile1 your exactly who I was thinking... :)

I'm plugging away in my garage and the Mrs. will not be happy if a chemistry experiment goes sideways and I win a Darwin Award . Big difference between "Pros" and DIY stiffs. ;) Oiy!

oldlawnguy

Threads
You learned the proper life thing to do it correctly and to finish the task at hand. What did you sit in front of the TV polishing your head? Oh that came out wrong LOL. Cleaning your mower parts at least? LOL
:ROFLMAO: Yeah do it right, with you 100% I did it over 3 days... at times I was sitting on the garage bench trying to distract myself as I sang Time in a Bottle. My 1st 2 fingers went numb. :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
bertsmobile1 your exactly who I was thinking... :)

I'm plugging away in my garage and the Mrs. will not be happy if a chemistry experiment goes sideways and I win a Darwin Award . Big difference between "Pros" and DIY stiffs. ;) Oiy!
Unfortunately because of the "darwin factor" mot of the products that actually work properly have either been removed from the market or go on a restricted list for specalized places like avaition or military use .
This of course requires a lot of work arounds using chemistry that either does not do the job properly or has bad side effects
I have gone almost exclusively to soda blasting as I can not see any authority banning baking soda and as it is bufffering agent, doe not have any major environmental problems

oldlawnguy

Threads
Unfortunately because of the "darwin factor" mot of the products that actually work properly have either been removed from the market or go on a restricted list for specalized places like avaition or military use .
This of course requires a lot of work arounds using chemistry that either does not do the job properly or has bad side effects
I have gone almost exclusively to soda blasting as I can not see any authority banning baking soda and as it is bufffering agent, doe not have any major environmental problems
Pros .vs Joes... Don't expect to see one of these under the tree this XMAS :)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pros .vs Joes... Don't expect to see one of these under the tree this XMAS :)

You can make one with nothing more than a plastic bottle & a air duster which is what I did
Bought a 20kg bag of agricultural soda , same chemistry but different grit shape & size
When I finish it I will buy another one of blasting soda which is a bit more expensive
As you don't reuse the soda I do it outdoors .
Soda is not a pollutant nor harmful to your health.
It takes about 2 years for the soda to wear through the air duster tube

oldlawnguy

Threads
:ROFLMAO: Yeah do it right, with you 100% I did it over 3 days... at times I was sitting on the garage bench trying to distract myself as I sang Time in a Bottle. My 1st 2 fingers went numb. :)
OK fellas, put her all back together today & checked the torque settings (twice). I did end up adjusting the valve lash both intake/out could not take .006, .005 pretty tight and .004 with resistance. Started right up.

Big thank you to StarTech, berstmobile1 and slomo for all the tips, spec settings and help.

Now going to do the other head. :)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK fellas, put her all back together today & checked the torque settings (twice). I did end up adjusting the valve lash both intake/out could not take .006, .005 pretty tight and .004 with resistance. Started right up.

Big thank you to StarTech, berstmobile1 and slomo for all the tips, spec settings and help.

Woo hoo, glad to hear she's alive. Nice job sir. (y)

oldlawnguy

Threads

Finished the other head today and fired it up. Was able to clean head in 2/3rds of the time. Plastic blade scrapers help pick off the big stufff, but scothbright pads, acetone and time is all you need. ;)

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpg
    IMG_2850.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2853.jpg
    IMG_2853.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 6