B&S Valve Adjustment Hiccup (Murphy's law & not a pro)

oldlawnguy

Threads
  • / B&S Valve Adjustment Hiccup (Murphy's law & not a pro)
Finished the other head today and fired it up. Was able to clean head in 2/3rds of the time. Plastic blade scrapers help pick off the big stufff, but scothbright pads, acetone and time is all you need. ;)
Update fellas:

I ran her the rest of the summer for another 30 hrs before winter.

Scoped both cylinders-- #1 had oil deposits on piston and #2 was clean (pictures attached). Once on startup she gave some blue smoke, but it cleared quickly during 10 uses before end of season.

I'm thinking maybe valve stem seals on #1 head? Head kit part number 597562 ($177.49 US) includes all the giblets for a new head.

Was reading the B&S service manual and I think it says something about replacing heads after so many hours, .vs just rebuilding the head which warps over time?

What you guys think?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2939.jpg
    IMG_2939.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2940.jpg
    IMG_2940.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 4

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
More like rings and or general bore condition. If you see oil, it's getting past the rings.

oldlawnguy

Threads
More like rings and or general bore condition. If you see oil, it's getting past the rings.
I've thought of that too, but then wouldn't the other cylinder have oil too?

Given the pictures I posted before/after when doing the head gasket replacements? I was reading that blue smoke on cold startup that clears could also be from leaking valve seals. The mower gets through the season without having to add oil.

Wondering what's worth doing or just monitor it.

Thanks!

OldDiyer

Threads
Just my 2 cents worth, I am not a lawn equipment master tech for sure but had an auto repair shop for 35 years plus. If this were me, I believe by what you are seeing if it was mine, I would just keep checking oil if it isn't smoking all the time and just a bit at start up let it be unless it starts acting up all the time. Why spend a crap load of money and time if it isn't needed at this time.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Just my 2 cents worth, I am not a lawn equipment master tech for sure but had an auto repair shop for 35 years plus. If this were me, I believe by what you are seeing if it was mine, I would just keep checking oil if it isn't smoking all the time and just a bit at start up let it be unless it starts acting up all the time. Why spend a crap load of money and time if it isn't needed at this time.
Thanks for the tip! Can't hold a candle with a combustion engine pro. :)

I don't want to fix it if it ain't broke. I don't mind tinkering with it, but as you said watching it until it starts acting up may be best for an old DIY guy like myself. I learn a ton on this website from folks like yourself.

Thanks!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well if it doesn't use ANY oil, leave it alone. I agree with the others above.

oldlawnguy

Threads
Well if it doesn't use ANY oil, leave it alone. I agree with the others above.
Yeah been changing the oil/filter every season with 2 qts of synthetic and yet have had to add any. Maybe I'm being anal and/or looking for something to tinker with. Probably should find something else... :rolleyes:

Thanks!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I've thought of that too, but then wouldn't the other cylinder have oil too?

Given the pictures I posted before/after when doing the head gasket replacements? I was reading that blue smoke on cold startup that clears could also be from leaking valve seals. The mower gets through the season without having to add oil.

Wondering what's worth doing or just monitor it.

Thanks!
The bulk of the oil that is in a cylinder comes from splash not the oil pump
Very common to have one cylinder very oily & the other dry
On a lot of vintage V-Twin motorcycled you have to put a drip feed into the crank case between the cylinders to get oil splashed up the bore in the trailing cylinder

oldlawnguy

Threads
The bulk of the oil that is in a cylinder comes from splash not the oil pump
Very common to have one cylinder very oily & the other dry
On a lot of vintage V-Twin motorcycled you have to put a drip feed into the crank case between the cylinders to get oil splashed up the bore in the trailing cylinder
Ahhhh thanks for the insight did not know that it's common.

After doing both head gaskets, was surprised how dry one was .vs the other.