B & S starting problem

princeal

Threads
Have a Briggs 280H07-0124-E1. Will turn over a couple times then lock up on what seems to be the compression stroke. Took out plug, bypassed selenoid, mower turns over perfect. Left plug out, went back to battery, turned over by switch -turned over fine. Previous searches suggested valve adjustment was in order. Adjusted exhaust to .010, adjust intake to.006. Replaced plug, tried to start==same result, bypassed switch and selenoid straight to starter-same problem. Wondering if I should go back to initial valve setting as if tore down and if so, what is that process to go to initial setting? or any other suggestions?? reddragon, kennyv--HELP

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The proper valves clearance is .004-.006 intake and exhaust. I have even seen a recommendation to adjust the intake to .003-.005.

SONOFADOCKER

Threads
If the valves are out if adjustment the starter will not have enough strength to complete a revolution of the motor .

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
when pulled the plug...did it it blow out gas while cranking?

princeal

Threads
Kenny v -problem developed all of a sudden
Reddraggon-Plug pulled had a little gas come out of clyn.
I am going to readjust valves after a few appointments are taken care of and then see what happens will keep you guys posted Thanks for the help thus far

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
ive had leaking carbs jamb up the cylinder with gas creating the same symptoms.......check to see if the oil is thin [watery] and smells like gas

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reddraggon-Plug pulled had a little gas come out of clyn.
I...

With fuel in the cylinder.... I think Reddraggon has zeroed in on the problem... It only takes a little liquid in the cylinder to raise the compression to the point it will not turn over...
Carburetor is allowing fuel to overflow into the engine...
Like he says, check for fuel in the oil.. :smile:KennyV

princeal

Threads
Just checked oil does not smell like gas nor is it thinned and runny. Also did a trick I learned on here and took dipstick out and outside and tried to light the oil on fire.was told if it flamed it had gas in it as the oil would not ignite with just the open flame with out holding it there for a pthus fgareriod.No flame and no luck. also motor has a fuel pump and not gravity feed rank is lower than motor so I cant tell if level is dropping or not