B&S engine won't restart until the next day after running. Can you help?

rodder98

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / B&S engine won't restart until the next day after running. Can you help?
Actually, today I have a question about a Briggs and Stratton gas powered pressure washer that I bought at Lowes. It is fairly new and has no adjustments or primer bulb. It just has a slide lever for run or stop.
When completely cold, it starts and runs fine. I use fresh gas. But, if I shut it off to refuel, it will not restart, or even fire. But, the next day it WILL start and run fine. I took it to a mower repair shop and the mechanic checked it the following day, so, of course it ran ok. He could find nothing wrong with it.
But, why does it not start again, after running for an hour or so? Once I tried to restart it, after it was stopped for an hour, and it started ok, but now it won't even do that.
Now I see why some guys call the B&S engines, Breaks and Scrap'em.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect that the problem is in the automatic choke system. This has been an ongoing problem with some engines, but not all.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please post the engine model numbers.

DaveTN

Threads
Sometimes engines of all makes will do that. I've seen engines that are the opposite and very cold natured and difficult to start, but once warmed up will start up and run. Have you tried squirting some gasoline down the carburetor or some starting fluid/ carburetor cleaner to see if it will fire up and run? Does it still get fire when it's hot and you're trying to re-start it? There's no reason it shouldn't but you never know with these "problem children" with their tempermental natures! That engine being new wouldn't have a valve problem, or coil going out, or carb issues. Let us know what squirting gas into the carburetor does when trying to start it back up. That might narrow things down some. Good Luck!