B&S Camshaft Rebuild Question

Markus69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

My grandfather gave me and my brother a very old Briggs & Stratton engine. Can't find the numbers on it anywhere. We cleaned out the carb and tested the spark, everything seemed to be ok but it still wouldn't run so we tore the engine apart and found the camshaft was in very tough shape. Not knowing how to get the right camshaft or if it was even still available we looked around for a similar engine to use for parts... No luck there either! We haven't seen any others like this, i'm sure they exist just don't see them anywhere. We did find a shop that says they cam rebuild the old Briggs camshaft (Small Engine Camshaft Rebuilding) - Has anyone ever attempted such a repair to a cam? Curious if anyone ever heard of such a thing?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Haven't seen it on small engines but have seen it on farm tractors. They seen to work out OK. I would guess what is the cost and is the engine worth spending how much money on. Is this just a engine you want to see if you can get it running or is something you want to use it for. Stop and think what you can buy a new engine for. Sounds like grandpa should of scraped this engine a long time ago.

Markus69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haven't seen it on small engines but have seen it on farm tractors. They seen to work out OK. I would guess what is the cost and is the engine worth spending how much money on. Is this just a engine you want to see if you can get it running or is something you want to use it for. Stop and think what you can buy a new engine for. Sounds like grandpa should of scraped this engine a long time ago.

I agree back in the day he didn't scrap much though. He gave it to us and said he would love to hear it run again. Didn't have the heart to ask why we just made it our mission to get it running. I think buying a new engine would defeat the purpose of what he wanted us to do.

I certainly hope that once its done he just doesn't give us another one! lol

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like a specialty shop could produce a camshaft at great expense. A so called "billet" as a lathe job and lobe hardening. Long shot that a typical cast iron shaft (yours?) could be repaired via hard surfacing and regrinding the lobes, but again can you afford it? If the lobe spacing could be matched to some available camshaft maybe a splice job via braze welding ? Still not cheap . Or ebay WTB ad? IMO

Markus69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Seems like a specialty shop could produce a camshaft at great expense. A so called "billet" as a lathe job and lobe hardening. Long shot that a typical cast iron shaft (yours?) could be repaired via hard surfacing and regrinding the lobes, but again can you afford it? If the lobe spacing could be matched to some available camshaft maybe a splice job via braze welding ? Still not cheap . Or ebay WTB ad? IMO

Ya, I would guess reproducing the camshaft would be quite costly! I called Cams Northeast and they said they can definitely handle it, sounded like it would be under $100 but they needed to see it first before quoting. I looked online for a similar engine but didn't have much luck.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Post a picture of the engine, I expect someone can identify it.Model numbers are likely stamped in the metal cooling shroud and cover with layers of paint.

Never heard of old engines wearing out the cam, newer engines, yes.

Walt Conner

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree back in the day he didn't scrap much though. He gave it to us and said he would love to hear it run again. Didn't have the heart to ask why we just made it our mission to get it running. I think buying a new engine would defeat the purpose of what he wanted us to do.

I certainly hope that once its done he just doesn't give us another one! lol

If it was one of my grandchildren and I wanted to hear a small engine run I would help them pay for it. As A matter of fact I would be working on it with them. Nothing give me more joy then to do something with my grandchildren. I do find now that my grandchildren have gotten married and family's of their own this becomes less of a thing. I don't know your situation but I bet grandpa would just enjoy helping you on this engine before you grow apart.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Hi,

My grandfather gave me and my brother a very old Briggs & Stratton engine. Can't find the numbers on it anywhere. We cleaned out the carb and tested the spark, everything seemed to be ok but it still wouldn't run so we tore the engine apart and found the camshaft was in very tough shape. Not knowing how to get the right camshaft or if it was even still available we looked around for a similar engine to use for parts... No luck there either! We haven't seen any others like this, i'm sure they exist just don't see them anywhere. We did find a shop that says they cam rebuild the old Briggs camshaft (Small Engine Camshaft Rebuilding) - Has anyone ever attempted such a repair to a cam? Curious if anyone ever heard of such a thing?

SOP with vintage & veteral motorcycles.
Build up the cam with some stelite then gring back to correct profile.
Not much for a price comparison as I am down in OZ but I pay $ 40 per lobe.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wow, If the verbal quote ($100) holds up, go for it!!:thumbsup: