b&s 5hp cutting out

benali

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I've cleaned this all up, nice and shiny now!
What should the gap be set at, please?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That surface rust, magnetically, will cause you zero problems. No need to remove rust on the coil or flywheel.

Gap normally is around 0.010". Use a piece of junk mail, business card or a 3x5 index card. Rotate flywheel where it will magnetically suck the coil to the flywheel magnets. Insert your junk mail or index card around flywheel and coil area. Coil should suck against the paper and flywheel. Gently SNUG down the coil mounting screws. Remove paper gapping tool. Hand rotate the flywheel several revolutions. Make sure no metallic interference is heard. Check your engine manual for your proper coil gap.

As mentioned before, get an inline spark tester. They are 5 bucks at Harbor Freight and many other places.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Your "car-bu-trator" sounds like it is clogged up. Pilot circuit for sure. Having to run the choke confirms the engine wants more fuel at low revs.

Get a can of "car-bu-trator" cleaner. Remove the plastic float and needle, pilot and main jets. Also any brass emulsion tubes present. All those tiny holes need cleaned out and shot with compressed air from a real air compressor. No canned air please. Or take the entire "car-bu-trator" body and place inside your wife's dish washer. It needs to be surgically clean inside and out. Most of the places needed cleaning are where you can't really see deep inside the "car-bu-trator". Make sure your car-bu-trator gaskets are good, no vacuum leaks. Or buy a Crinese carb off Ebay for around 20-25 bucks delivered.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Engine runs pretty well until it gets hot, so good chance ignition breakdown is the fault, so probably just replace it.
Are these coils pretty universal, mine is i/c 5hp model 130200, 132200.
No your engines doesn't run well at any speed. It won't idle and max revs now are shot. Dirty carb is your issue and or possilbe failing spark. Running with the choke half way on is not proper operation.

slomo

seattlepioneer

Threads
My 130200 b&s 5hp has started cutting out. The mower is fine when cold but once it gets up to temp especially lately as the weather is warmer, as soon as you release the clutch and load is put on the engine it cuts out.
I've done all the basics, ie new plug, cleaned filters, cleaned carb, oil level, fuel ok etc which all looks ok.
Generally, the mower has always only really worked with choke at halfway. Choke off position has always been problematic and caused stalling. But now it stalls all the time especially as it gets hot.
It seems fine with engine revving (no load), but as soon as the load is applied it stalls.
Can anyone offer any advice here, please?

View attachment 53030View attachment 53031
You could have a failing ignition coil.

<< The mower is fine when cold but once it gets up to temp especially lately as the weather is warmer, as soon as you release the clutch and load is put on the engine it cuts out. >>

Has anyone tried connecting up a problem engine like the to an oscilloscope? An osciloscope makes a graph of voltage or other measurements which repeat themselves ---up to millions of times per second.

It might be interesting to make a parallel connection to a spark plug to an oscilloscope and see what you get. Once you understand what kind of trace you ought to get, it would probably be a lot easier to observe defects with a bad coil.