B&S 406777-0442-B1 choking question

Armana

Forum Newbie
Threads
The engine is on an Ariens 936042. The tractor had sat for a while and when a friend bought his house the old owner threw in the tractor and said it had been running. It initially would not start with a new battery and going threw it a few electrical problems were found and repaired as well as replacing the fuel pump, filters and carb. I adjusted the valves and governor. It will now start but only with starting fluid. After the first cold start with starter fluid it will restart without starter fluid. Engine is good under load and appears a constant so the governor is working. I’m thinking the choke is out but as simple as it would seem, and without a manual, have resorted to online video clips that haven’t hit on where this is adjusted other than moving the throttle cable a bit. My question is - is there any other point of adjustment or how is this properly done?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No, it gets adjusted with the cable position.
If you are getting stuck then some times I occasionally bend the choke tang but that is a very rare event.
If the mower has not been used for a long time the choke butterfly tends to corrode and that can make its operation sub standard.

Photos of the throttle plate, choke fully on would be helpful.

Armana

Forum Newbie
Threads
No, it gets adjusted with the cable position.
If you are getting stuck then some times I occasionally bend the choke tang but that is a very rare event.
If the mower has not been used for a long time the choke butterfly tends to corrode and that can make its operation sub standard.

Photos of the throttle plate, choke fully on would be helpful.

Perhaps you had missed that I had replaced the carb. I don’t have pics at the moment. One thing though is that the rotation plate (thing that the cable moves) in the ccw position does not seem to be all the way to where the flat in the plate is level. I tried to get it flat and it didn’t go that far. Videos I’ve seen show it should be that way. I’ll try looking at it some more. It may be simple stupid but I’m missing it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So does the engine have a combined throttle & choke or separate throttle & choke cables ?
They come both ways and can be left or right handed ( this is why we like pickies )

Armana

Forum Newbie
Threads
So does the engine have a combined throttle & choke or separate throttle & choke cables ?
They come both ways and can be left or right handed ( this is why we like pickies )

Thank you again Bertsmobile1. It’s a combined unit where the governor assembly has a choke arm and a vertical linking rod that actuates the choke. When you are facing the engine it is on the left. I do not own the tractor I’m just helping a guy out on this. Next time I’m there I will take pics and look back over the choke linkage. Someone told me this afternoon that with the lever to choke if you take off the link at the bottom and move it up from where it would attach to close the choke there should be very little travel if any. Maybe 1/8 inch. That should confirm if the choke arm on the gov is positioned correctly.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The governor is not connected to the choke.
It is connected to the throttle butterfly at the engine side of the carb.

The throttle lever ( you move ) is connected to the choke.
In most cases they push it on against a small clock spring on the butterfly which holds the choke off.

Threads
Armana Are you talking about the throttle plate assembly that bolts to the engine ?????

Boo Boo has some links and pics of those........ Yes there is a certain way to adjust those...... He will chime in later.....

Unless I find something before I go to bed.... I'm burn't out from work all day.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!