B&S 24 hp won't start

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
nummy, Back for a minute to the intake . If your tractor was running when you suspected the intake was sucking leaked air, did you look at the plug coloring? I would expect a lighter , even whitish color and that the engine ran faster and lacked power. The o ring v groove sounds weird , usually the machined recesses for o rings are U shaped or square recesses. Only a little o ring protrusion above the metal is normal. Did you check for flatness with a straight edge and not overtorque?

Nummy

Threads
it was running fine four weeks ago then I hit a tree root and trashed my blades changed them with new mowed once after and was good(the wife thinks it ran bad the time after I trashed blades but neither one of us is 100%) I didn't notice it running badly right after it happened and it didn't shut off. two weeks ago I tried to start it and it didn't want to start after a few tries it fired up took off the choke and it acted like the choke was still on I shut it off and noticed that the bold on the intake manifold was loose I tightened it up and it started better but wasn't right but it worked well enough to get the job done. then last it started rough mowed and when I got done and parked it shut it off and tried to restart it wanted to see how it would start hot and it wouldn't start at all and hasn't since. just put it back together for the umpteenth time and it's at least trying to start which is the most it's done in a week but still not starting. I was using some bad gas for a while that probable didn't help anything but I did get all of that out and replaced with fresh. I just noticed that every once in awhile when I take the choke off it stays up on the carb even when the linkage is off so now i'm thinking I have to pull the carb apart I don't know what else I say that will help. I was told that the orings leaking would keep it from starting. how will not torqueing the flywheel nut correctly affect it starting??

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
it was running fine four weeks ago then I hit a tree root and trashed my blades changed them with new mowed once after and was good(the wife thinks it ran bad the time after I trashed blades but neither one of us is 100%) I didn't notice it running badly right after it happened and it didn't shut off. two weeks ago I tried to start it and it didn't want to start after a few tries it fired up took off the choke and it acted like the choke was still on I shut it off and noticed that the bold on the intake manifold was loose I tightened it up and it started better but wasn't right but it worked well enough to get the job done. then last it started rough mowed and when I got done and parked it shut it off and tried to restart it wanted to see how it would start hot and it wouldn't start at all and hasn't since. just put it back together for the umpteenth time and it's at least trying to start which is the most it's done in a week but still not starting. I was using some bad gas for a while that probable didn't help anything but I did get all of that out and replaced with fresh. I just noticed that every once in awhile when I take the choke off it stays up on the carb even when the linkage is off so now i'm thinking I have to pull the carb apart I don't know what else I say that will help. I was told that the orings leaking would keep it from starting. how will not torqueing the flywheel nut correctly affect it starting??

WOW!!!! Again, WOW!!!!!

Nummy

Threads
yeah it had bad power loss going up slight hill with blades engaged didn't want to do it at my normal speed but it would if I slowed down but barely when I did pull the plugs I didn't pay that close of attention it could of been whitish I didn't think they look bad though. the orings are square and the recess is square but in the recess they have three v's that the original orings lined up and fit into and the replacement ones are smaller and fit between the three v's and the inner lip. I tightened them until they stopped turning may have slightly over tightened them but when I checked them when I found that loose one the other three where that tight