B&S 20hp Intek V-Twin worthy of repair?

scottmarsc

Forum Newbie
Threads
My neighbor gave me his 2017 Poulan Pro riding mower (PP20VA46) that has been dead in his back yard for the past 3 years. The mower deck and frame were obviously oil soaked and engine dipstick showed empty. Oil filter was very loose. Brought it home, charged the battery overnight, filled the oil and put a new filter on, emptied the gas tank and added fresh fuel, purged the fuel line, pulled both spark plugs and turned the key- engine turned over and strong spark at both plugs. Replaced the plugs, squirt of starting fluid at the air intake and turned the key again- engine turned over but wouldn't even cough. Pulled the carb, which was remarkably clean, disassembled, cleaned and reassembled, tried again with starting fluid with same results. Pulled both valve covers and valves are moving when engine is cranked, but there was no piston movement! Pulled a head, cylinder wall looks good, and piston easily moved with a slight tap, but no movement when the flywheel is turned by hand. Mower and deck are in great condition, but is this engine worth rebuilding, or should I just replace it?

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The short answer is it is not worth rebuilding. The long answer is take it apart and see what it looks like because you could get lucky as far as internal damage. And if you feel like doing a rebuild it maybe worth it, but keep in mind what part cost could add up to quickly.

scottmarsc

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response and encouragement! Pics of Phase 1 and Phase 2 teardown: needs a new block, pistons, rods and a crankshaft for sure! Bugler is sounding Taps on this rebuild. Anybody need leftover, salvageable parts?

Attachments

• PreBoom.JPG
    PreBoom.JPG
    602.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Boom.JPG
    Boom.JPG
    527.7 KB · Views: 9