B&S 18 HP Opposed Twin Binding

George K

Forum Newbie
Threads
I doubt this is the issue, but what are you torquing the rod bolts too?
in my manual it says,
"Torque connecting rod screws to 190 inch pounds, rotate crank 2 revolutions to check for binding, connecting rods should be free to move SIDEWAYS on the crank pin. (what the rods bolt too)
*Note: failure to use a torque wrench can result in loose connecting rod causing engine damage or tight connecting rods causing scoring.
I had them torqued to 190. But even when I give them just a firm tightening, they bind. At 190, it took a lot of force to turn them

George K

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m going to go pull the sump cover. Do you know what gasket should go on this. There are 3 to choose from. What thickness should I get.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I’m going to go pull the sump cover. Do you know what gasket should go on this. There are 3 to choose from. What thickness should I get.
I don't think its binding due the cover since its only with rods on.. I'm a bit on the confused side.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the rods ar binding on the crank you have a real problem. Take the rods off and check the crank journal for scoring and aluminum transfer. The rod bearing surfaces should be smooth. If they are binding something definately wrong.

George K

Forum Newbie
Threads
I appreciate the help. Give me a couple days to break it all down. It’s cold and raining for the next couple days. I will let y’all know when I get back to it.