Averted disatser yesterday

JSB33

Threads
Just finished mowing the front with my LTX1042 KW yesterday when my wife got home, I was already headed out back but drove over to talk to her. After I was finished with her I backed up and she waved me to look down, oil all over the driveway!
It wasn't there on the route I drove over to her so it must have just started leaking as I spoke to her. Shutting off and looking down, oil was everywhere. The brake pedal and my foot was wet, the underside of the hood. even the gas tank.And the recesses of the deck had oil pooling.The source of all this oil? I must not have tightened the dipstick down all the way from last week when I put it away.

Had I not stopped and talked to her, I would have been bouncing around in the back without knowing that I was huffing oil. I would have kept going till it went bang. Best conversation with my wife ever:laughing:

Good thing is that despite how it looked, I didn't loose that much oil and it was not running at high throttle.
Kawasaki owners, make sure the dipstick is tightened all the way and check it frequently.

DaveTN

Threads
A friend gave me an old 10 HP Craftsman mower, the old style where the hood won't come off and you have to pull the engine to do anything to it. Poor design! :thumbdown: Anyway I put another rear end under it and the engine had gotten water down in it and after draining it and putting some diesel fuel in the crankcase and sloshing it around and letting it clean it up a little, I drained that out and put fresh oil in it. Smoked on engine oil before I drained it and soaked it in diesel to try and clean up the rings and internal parts. Smoked like a tar kettle and never did quit. It used some oil and I loaned it to yet another friend and told him to keep a close eye on it since it loved oil. An oil-burning mower is better than no mower in his case. Wouldn't you know it, he was running FULL THROTTLE in high grass and Ka-POW...out goes the rod through the side of the block right behind the starter. He let it get too low on oil and crowded it. I would only baby it along, check the oil at least twice during an hour's mowing. My cousin recently gave me another older 11 HP B&S Craftsman and it ran fine and I have once again loaned it to the same friend , who still needed a rider since mine blew up, to continue mowing this season. Hopefully he won't blow it up.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just finished mowing the front with my LTX1042 KW yesterday when my wife got home, I was already headed out back but drove over to talk to her. After I was finished with her I backed up and she waved me to look down, oil all over the driveway!
It wasn't there on the route I drove over to her so it must have just started leaking as I spoke to her. Shutting off and looking down, oil was everywhere. The brake pedal and my foot was wet, the underside of the hood. even the gas tank.And the recesses of the deck had oil pooling.The source of all this oil? I must not have tightened the dipstick down all the way from last week when I put it away.

Had I not stopped and talked to her, I would have been bouncing around in the back without knowing that I was huffing oil. I would have kept going till it went bang. Best conversation with my wife ever:laughing:

Good thing is that despite how it looked, I didn't loose that much oil and it was not running at high throttle.
Kawasaki owners, make sure the dipstick is tightened all the way and check it frequently.

Must be an epedimic of this going around....check out the thread below!!!

http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/scag-forum/19741-new-scag-cheetah-10-hours-oil-everywhere.html

Sooooooo, don't feel so bad there are others that check the oil before mowing and forget to secure the dipstick. Now I have a "habit' of checking it before I start mowing.....AND....checking it before I engage the blades for the first time.