Are John Deer engines (Yanmar) reliable/durable?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it has a Yanmar diesel then good chance it is in fact a rebadged Yanmar sub compact tractor with is a commercial unit
They are very good machines
We cant tell you any more without a JD model number .
It has taken a very long time but eventually I have managed to get my hilly yard customers to buy diesel engines commercial engines although some had to blow up way too many engines before they understood how the oil pump ends up pumping air when the mower is on a big slope .

Freddie21

Threads
If I had to replace my machine, for my 2-3 acre plot, I would purchase a used steering wheel zero turn. I did that back in 2018 and have never regretted it. Spent a little more and got a commercial machine with the Kohler and 60 inch deck. I like the steering wheel as it tracks better along hills and there's no learning curve. Anything residential at big box stores look like plastic crap. Some don't even come with real batteries.

Shady oak

Threads
Too bad they don’t put Yanmars or Kubotas in the smaller mowers. You have a 3 cylinder Yanmar or Kubota and you will never want an air cooled gas engine again!

barny57

Threads
People,

Need a new rider mower, I guess 42" cutting is about standard. Looking at a Deer. Had an MTD for 27 years and its Tecumseh engine would never quit. Most other mowers offer a B&S and I hear they are not that great(?). Also, I understand it is a diesel, not gas. Is diesel a smart option? And the 2 pedals- does one have to depress them ALL the time during mowing? Opinions appreciated on this subject. ( I have a 2 acre yard)

Which 42" mower would you buy, if you were in my situation?
John Deere lawn tractor 700 and series are Yanmar diesel engines so is this 1,2,and3 series

Shady oak

Threads
John Deere uses Yanmar engines in their tractors
I do think you are correct. JD did have some small diesel garden tractors. But IIRC they were 2 cylinders?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What do you think engine they have then
The X700 series is the only series that offers Diesel engines in their lawn and garden tractors.
Their subcompact tractors and up are Diesel.