Anyone running Microsoft's newest version: 2004 ?

dougand3

Threads
I liked XP and win7. Hate win10. It does not like hardware older than 5 years. It's speculated that there isn't much code R&D - just push crap out and let users find the bugs to report and then they'll fix. I've put Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on puters I need to rely on. The Robolinux distro makes it easy to transition from M$.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been able to upgrade without an account. I don't remember how I found it, but when they obsoleted the my old version of Windows, I was able to upgrade at no cost. If you want it, I'll find it for you.
2 of the 3 new computers at church gave you the option of entering an accoult or skipping it. The third and newest one had no option to skip. MS support said that is the new norm. I wanted to install a NAS for the big video files we are making since we are streaming services but others wanted Google drive. So Google drive it is. Everyone loves google, but me. Oh well, just an old curmudgeon i guess. Time for my meds.

Joe Kuhn

Threads
2 of the 3 new computers at church gave you the option of entering an accoult or skipping it. The third and newest one had no option to skip. MS support said that is the new norm. I wanted to install a NAS for the big video files we are making since we are streaming services but others wanted Google drive. So Google drive it is. Everyone loves google, but me. Oh well, just an old curmudgeon i guess. Time for my meds.
I know what you mean about the frustration. I'm lucky to have my son helping me so I present the problem(s) to him and see what he can come up with. The kid is good and likes to outdo me, but we all benefit, so I don't mind.

I've got one more solid state drive on my shelf, so I'm wondering if my usual procedure will work. Maybe not. We'll see...

Lawn Addict
Threads
I've been running Windows 10 Pro, was version 1903, then went to 1909 last year. I like it how it is now.. Very pleased with it & had my Rig souped up by our local PC guy.. Fast & smooth..

When I finally get used to something change happens. Thanks to all who responded. I am not looking for MS Version 2004, it is in my Security box. Waiting for me to download..

I just don't want to.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have no idea what MS 1909 and 2004 are, so this may be of no help to you at all.

I'm running Windows 10 and Firefox as the browser. Have been for quite some time. IIRC, when a new version of Windows installs, it installs Edge or Bing but you can choose whatever browser you want. If at all possible, I avoid using Google.

Thanks Cpurvis. 1909 was MS latest version, now the latest is 2004, but I read horror stories on searches.

PS: I avoid google as much as possible too..

upupandaway

Threads
Bought the wife a new HP desk top with Win 10 a year ago. Hear nothing but complaints and all I get done is trying to clean it out so it will work decent for a couple weeks. My Chromebook works flawless and this old Gateway with Win8 also works pretty decent.
Back in the "good 'ol days"(up to 2000ish), HP(like Dell and Gateway) sold PCs with parts off the shelf. That meant that your PC NIC, video card, modem, etc would work in 3 different OS versions. Then they started engineering the hardware so that if you upgrade OS, the modem and NIC didn't work any more and the like. This explains alot of Win10 upgrades that act up.

@Hammermechanic While you can't disable the login with recent versions of Windows, the easiest workaround is a Registry line where you add the login and password so you don't have to type it. The catch is it is a plain file where anyone can display the line using the command reg. If you want to not set a password and your computer is setup as a domain- like at the office, you would then need to edit the domain policy because by default requires a password.

This is the Windows 10 upgrade tool:
It will upgrade whatever type you have ex: it will upgrade a Win7 Workstation to Win10 WS or a XP personal version to Win10 Personal
Also there is a tool out there that will activate Windows so you never have to register it so if you "lost your copy" you can download and install an older version OS like XP, activate it, then upgrade for free to Win10.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Back in the "good 'ol days"(up to 2000ish), HP(like Dell and Gateway) sold PCs with parts off the shelf. That meant that your PC NIC, video card, modem, etc would work in 3 different OS versions. Then they started engineering the hardware so that if you upgrade OS, the modem and NIC didn't work any more and the like. This explains alot of Win10 upgrades that act up.

@Hammermechanic While you can't disable the login with recent versions of Windows, the easiest workaround is a Registry line where you add the login and password so you don't have to type it. The catch is it is a plain file where anyone can display the line using the command reg. If you want to not set a password and your computer is setup as a domain, you would then need to edit the domain policy because by default requires a password.

This is the Windows 10 upgrade tool:
It will upgrade whatever type you have ex: it will upgrade a Win7 Workstation to Win10 WS or a XP personal version to Win10 Personal
Also there is a tool out there that will activate Windows so you never have to register it so if you "lost your copy" you can download and install an older version OS like XP, activate it, then upgrade for free to Win10.
Thanks.
One of the computers at church upgraded to 10 fro. 7pro it it totally F'd it up. Would try to do updates and hang for a full day then give message recovering for a few hours then it would work. Did this everytime you turned it on With an internet connection. Wiped it and reinstalled 7 and then worked. That was one we just upgraded to a new win10 box. The dedicated Easyworship projection computer with special multi output graphics card and settings upgraded itself from 7 to 10. Total disaster. No compatible video drivers available. Had to scrape it and reinstall everything with 7. I will admit the computers that came with 10 are working OK after you get rid of most of the MS stuff and load programs that actually work.

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Microsoft getting kind of totalitarian
Like i said.......
Already been through telling 10 i don't want the POS edge. It loads and makes you wade through a bunch of stuff then i just delete the icon and remove it from the taskbar and make chrome the default browser.