Export thread

Anyone running Microsoft's newest version: 2004 ?

I'm still using the last: 1909, but am happy with it..

Plus I don't wanna lose Firefox as one of my browsers. . Appreciate any input.... Pros.......... Cons etc ..

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

My computer always fails to update to 2004 version, im still on 1909 too. I tried updating last night and it failed... about to contact microsoft.

My computer always fails to update to 2004 version, im still on 1909 too. I tried updating last night and it failed... about to contact microsoft.

MS tried to do an auto update to mine, but it failed, Then they took it away to work out some issues, w/that program.
But has been back for a bit now.
I'm leary if it does update will it change my preferred browsers & everything to MS Edge & etc.

Thanks for your reply. Least I'm not alone.

B

bertsmobile1

What is Microsoft ?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

What is Microsoft ?
That is spelled Micro$uck.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I have no idea what MS 1909 and 2004 are, so this may be of no help to you at all.

I'm running Windows 10 and Firefox as the browser. Have been for quite some time. IIRC, when a new version of Windows installs, it installs Edge or Bing but you can choose whatever browser you want. If at all possible, I avoid using Google.

Joe Kuhn

Joe Kuhn

I went to Windows 10 as well and had to upgrade my laptop hard drives because they were so slow. Upgrading wasn't that hard. I got some new solid state drives with no moving parts for about $65 and man are they fast. It's like I've got 3 new laptops at home now. Glad I did it. Got Western Digital Blue ssds. Have posted steps if anyone is interested.

tom3

tom3

Bought the wife a new HP desk top with Win 10 a year ago. Hear nothing but complaints and all I get done is trying to clean it out so it will work decent for a couple weeks. My Chromebook works flawless and this old Gateway with Win8 also works pretty decent.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I just wish Micro$hit would quit forcing thier crap on us. Edge sucks bat $hi+ off cave walls. The search function is garbage and that is just for starters. Just do what i tell you don't pop anything up to me. If i need something i will get it. Computers used to be kinda fun. Linux can't run the programs i need so stuck with windows. Now you must have a microsuck account to enable win 10. Just set up a new computer at church and didn't want to use a microsuck account. Even talked with support. Tough luck, enter an account if you want to get past the screen "We made it better for you"

Joe Kuhn

Joe Kuhn

I just wish Micro$hit would quit forcing thier crap on us. Edge sucks bat $hi+ off cave walls. The search function is garbage and that is just for starters. Just do what i tell you don't pop anything up to me. If i need something i will get it. Computers used to be kinda fun. Linux can't run the programs i need so stuck with windows. Now you must have a microsuck account to enable win 10. Just set up a new computer at church and didn't want to use a microsuck account. Even talked with support. Tough luck, enter an account if you want to get past the screen "We made it better for you"
I've been able to upgrade without an account. I don't remember how I found it, but when they obsoleted the my old version of Windows, I was able to upgrade at no cost. If you want it, I'll find it for you.

dougand3

dougand3

I liked XP and win7. Hate win10. It does not like hardware older than 5 years. It's speculated that there isn't much code R&D - just push crap out and let users find the bugs to report and then they'll fix. I've put Ubuntu 18.04 LTS on puters I need to rely on. The Robolinux distro makes it easy to transition from M$.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I've been able to upgrade without an account. I don't remember how I found it, but when they obsoleted the my old version of Windows, I was able to upgrade at no cost. If you want it, I'll find it for you.
2 of the 3 new computers at church gave you the option of entering an accoult or skipping it. The third and newest one had no option to skip. MS support said that is the new norm. I wanted to install a NAS for the big video files we are making since we are streaming services but others wanted Google drive. So Google drive it is. Everyone loves google, but me. Oh well, just an old curmudgeon i guess. Time for my meds.

Joe Kuhn

Joe Kuhn

2 of the 3 new computers at church gave you the option of entering an accoult or skipping it. The third and newest one had no option to skip. MS support said that is the new norm. I wanted to install a NAS for the big video files we are making since we are streaming services but others wanted Google drive. So Google drive it is. Everyone loves google, but me. Oh well, just an old curmudgeon i guess. Time for my meds.
I know what you mean about the frustration. I'm lucky to have my son helping me so I present the problem(s) to him and see what he can come up with. The kid is good and likes to outdo me, but we all benefit, so I don't mind.

I've got one more solid state drive on my shelf, so I'm wondering if my usual procedure will work. Maybe not. We'll see...

I've been running Windows 10 Pro, was version 1903, then went to 1909 last year. I like it how it is now.. Very pleased with it & had my Rig souped up by our local PC guy.. Fast & smooth..

When I finally get used to something change happens. Thanks to all who responded. I am not looking for MS Version 2004, it is in my Security box. Waiting for me to download..

I just don't want to.

I have no idea what MS 1909 and 2004 are, so this may be of no help to you at all.

I'm running Windows 10 and Firefox as the browser. Have been for quite some time. IIRC, when a new version of Windows installs, it installs Edge or Bing but you can choose whatever browser you want. If at all possible, I avoid using Google.

Thanks Cpurvis. 1909 was MS latest version, now the latest is 2004, but I read horror stories on searches.

PS: I avoid google as much as possible too..

upupandaway

upupandaway

Bought the wife a new HP desk top with Win 10 a year ago. Hear nothing but complaints and all I get done is trying to clean it out so it will work decent for a couple weeks. My Chromebook works flawless and this old Gateway with Win8 also works pretty decent.
Back in the "good 'ol days"(up to 2000ish), HP(like Dell and Gateway) sold PCs with parts off the shelf. That meant that your PC NIC, video card, modem, etc would work in 3 different OS versions. Then they started engineering the hardware so that if you upgrade OS, the modem and NIC didn't work any more and the like. This explains alot of Win10 upgrades that act up.

@Hammermechanic While you can't disable the login with recent versions of Windows, the easiest workaround is a Registry line where you add the login and password so you don't have to type it. The catch is it is a plain file where anyone can display the line using the command reg. If you want to not set a password and your computer is setup as a domain- like at the office, you would then need to edit the domain policy because by default requires a password.

This is the Windows 10 upgrade tool:
It will upgrade whatever type you have ex: it will upgrade a Win7 Workstation to Win10 WS or a XP personal version to Win10 Personal
Also there is a tool out there that will activate Windows so you never have to register it so if you "lost your copy" you can download and install an older version OS like XP, activate it, then upgrade for free to Win10.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Microsoft getting kind of totalitarian

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Back in the "good 'ol days"(up to 2000ish), HP(like Dell and Gateway) sold PCs with parts off the shelf. That meant that your PC NIC, video card, modem, etc would work in 3 different OS versions. Then they started engineering the hardware so that if you upgrade OS, the modem and NIC didn't work any more and the like. This explains alot of Win10 upgrades that act up.

@Hammermechanic While you can't disable the login with recent versions of Windows, the easiest workaround is a Registry line where you add the login and password so you don't have to type it. The catch is it is a plain file where anyone can display the line using the command reg. If you want to not set a password and your computer is setup as a domain, you would then need to edit the domain policy because by default requires a password.

This is the Windows 10 upgrade tool:
It will upgrade whatever type you have ex: it will upgrade a Win7 Workstation to Win10 WS or a XP personal version to Win10 Personal
Also there is a tool out there that will activate Windows so you never have to register it so if you "lost your copy" you can download and install an older version OS like XP, activate it, then upgrade for free to Win10.
Thanks.
One of the computers at church upgraded to 10 fro. 7pro it it totally F'd it up. Would try to do updates and hang for a full day then give message recovering for a few hours then it would work. Did this everytime you turned it on With an internet connection. Wiped it and reinstalled 7 and then worked. That was one we just upgraded to a new win10 box. The dedicated Easyworship projection computer with special multi output graphics card and settings upgraded itself from 7 to 10. Total disaster. No compatible video drivers available. Had to scrape it and reinstall everything with 7. I will admit the computers that came with 10 are working OK after you get rid of most of the MS stuff and load programs that actually work.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Like i said.......
Already been through telling 10 i don't want the POS edge. It loads and makes you wade through a bunch of stuff then i just delete the icon and remove it from the taskbar and make chrome the default browser.

Local (I.T.) friend gets commercial 2 year old lease units from hospitals & etc. He goes thru them upgrades the drivers, etc & that's where I got my Dell Optiplex®. Plus he loaded in Win 10 Pro. & my other personal files & stuff..

I love it, been super for over 3+ years so far..

Like i said.......
Already been through telling 10 i don't want the POS edge. It loads and makes you wade through a bunch of stuff then i just delete the icon and remove it from the taskbar and make chrome the default browser.

Yep, it's on my machine, wife likes it. Me, I am still running latest Firefox.

B

bertsmobile1

It is all about data mining and advertising from click bait
As luck would have it I bought a Mac because my customers used them so I could pirate their really good A2 laser printer .
One of the best decisions I ever made .
Run an old one under Red Hat Linux , a not so old one under Debenam Linux & have a third that is running OS 10 so I can still use all of the old softwear that got given away when Apple switched to Intel processors.
People get hooked up onto tech for little to no benefit
The only things I can not run are Farce Book & WattsAp and no intelligent human being would want to run either of them unless they want to get free advertising via Face book market place.
The computer that is posting this message is 9 years old and I have no intention of tossing it till it can not browse any more.
All of the browsers on it are very much superceeded .

As for being forced to log in, do so using the embedded browser then never use it again unless you need to log into Microsloth again
This computer has Safari , Firefox & Chrome on it.
Each one is used for viewing particular sites.
When you log in and are forced to fill in your personnel details , LIE THROUGH YOUR TEETH .
I am 142 years old unemployed, never went to school , single , do not own a house or car. & have no mobile phone .
So when the data miners come across me I am outside all of their search parrameters so I don't get profiled for advertisement except by the browsing history which gets deleted every time I log out.

Bert- Agree 100% I not known for being 142 years old tho. 88 & a total Deplorable..

Westman

Westman

I dumped Microsoft back in 2008. Purchased 2 iMacs (Apple). Best move I ever made.

Friend has a Mac, & he got hacked bad. Cost him some $$ to get it sorted..

Not saying they are bad, just saying..

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I dumped Microsoft back in 2008. Purchased 2 iMacs (Apple). Best move I ever made.
Didn't drink the kool-aid!

B

bertsmobile1

Friend has a Mac, & he got hacked bad. Cost him some $$ to get it sorted..

Not saying they are bad, just saying..
he biggest vunerability on a fully mac system is the microsoft applications, like office that run on it
After that Java is the next biggest security problem.
Problem is people do not set them up properly then do stupid things like click on a pop up window that says it is an automatic upgrade.
Goes for any operating system.
Auto update should always be turned off and when you see a window that tells you your Java is out of date, you manually go to Oracle and do the update
Same as any System patches, you never click OK but go to Microsloth or Apple then follow the instructions.
While you are connecting you check both the browser address bar and the task bar down the bottom to make sure it is downloading from Microsloth or apple and not some unknown web address .
If people spend a fortune getting their Mac cleaned then they are idiots who do not allow Time Machine to do automatic back ups to an external hard drive or even more stupidly allow their data to be stored on a cloud disc .

Bert- Actually what he had was over a year ago, & it affected many running a Mac. it was some ransome ware bug that wanted money to
give back access.. From the lil I read, this was a big breach that affected many here in the states. Don't know about down under..

B

bertsmobile1

Bert- Actually what he had was over a year ago, & it affected many running a Mac. it was some ransome ware bug that wanted money to
give back access.. From the lil I read, this was a big breach that affected many here in the states. Don't know about down under..
Which is why you use Time Machine to restore your system .
All Macs have a safe start so you can start them in UNIX then do a restore .
This can not be overwritten or modified , it is hard programmed, it allows the machine to be turned on even if there is no hard drive fitted, although obviously it will not boot as there is no system.
However so many people just can not be bothered to set up Time Machine on an external drive then set up their computer so they are a standard user without system modyfing rights .
When done that way, nothing can accidentially be written into the machine unless you specifically allow it to, because every modification to the system including applications has to be authorised .
The exception is the MS rubbish like entourage & office that will allow themselves to be modified without permissions .
The problem is too many just plug it in turn it on and start to use it .
The same problem exists with PC's except Micro Crim has all of the default setting open where as Mac have them all closed .

Just because 10,000 people got run over crossing an interstate with their eyes closed does not mean there is a problem with the road.

L

leebenjamin

From what I've seen, version 2004 has some new features such as virtual desktops, improved search and Cortana, and improved Windows Hello. However, as with any new software, there may be some bugs or compatibility issues.
Regarding your concern about losing Firefox as one of your browsers, it's worth noting that updates to the operating system shouldn't affect your installed programs or browsers. However, it's always a good idea to back up your important files and settings before updating, just in case.
Overall, it's up to you to decide whether or not to update, but it's worth considering the pros and cons. And if you need the activation keys, reddit windows keys might be of great help.