Anyone know why engine code is triple stamped with different numbers on my riding lawnmower?

Huffy Dude

Threads
  • / Anyone know why engine code is triple stamped with different numbers on my riding lawnmower?
My dad bought this Huffy Sheraton from Sears brand new in 1972. I never noticed until now its triple stamped. Anyone know why? ThanksIMG_E4286.JPG

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Anyone know why engine code is triple stamped with different numbers on my riding lawnmower?
That is a new one for me and I tore my first Briggs engine apart in the mid 60’s. This is one time I suggest your best bet is to contact Briggs directly with that picture. Only thing is I’ll bet they won’t be able to help you out.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
it was George's last day before retiring. He had always wanted to see what happens when one hits the yellow button they were told not to touch or it would be their last day at the factory ..........

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is a new one for me and I tore my first Briggs engine apart in the mid 60’s. This is one time I suggest your best bet is to contact Briggs directly with that picture. Only thing is I’ll bet they won’t be able to help you out.
That beauty is pre internet. Good luck calling Briggs. (y)

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Shoot, at least you can read all of them. Some are gone from rust and such.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
My dad bought this Huffy Sheraton from Sears brand new in 1972. I never noticed until now its triple stamped. Anyone know why? ThanksView attachment 61317
if you have Facebook, share it on the Briggs and Stratton Junkies group.... you might get an answer.... alot of briggs heads on there.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most likely because the engine was originally made for one customer, then got reconfigured for another customer before finally being sold to a third
Or the cover belonged to a different engine all together and was restamped when it was fitted to replace a broken one .

Huffy Dude

Threads
Bertsmobile might be right. I remember destroying the engine when I went over a raised sewer grate when I was 14. I don't know where my father took it but they put a new engine on it. Thanks for the responses and I'll check out Facebook.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
when I need to swap over a blower housing I stamp the old number in the new housing because that is the only identification on the engine.
In the same manner I have been caught out a couple of times because a shifty vendor has put a bigger engine blower housing to pretend the mower has been "upgraded" with a bigger engine.
Thus the parts I got to repair the engine were wrong.