Leaves Any first hand experience bagging oak leaves with a X300?

tooljunky

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Any first hand experience bagging oak leaves with a X300?
Considering an X300 or X300R for my flat 2/3 acre lot. Lots of mature oak trees that bury me this time of year. I like the idea of the 300R with the built in powerflow, but the extremely low ground clearance of the bagger frame makes me nervous traveling over all the roots, etc.

Will the base X300 with the regular 7 bu bagger do a good job sucking up the 2-4" layer of (dry) leaves?
Not too worried bout the K46 drive since I won't be adding any heavy attachments (plow, snow blower, etc).

ps; just sold my 99' LX279 and it still hurts.....

Threads
Considering an X300 or X300R for my flat 2/3 acre lot. Lots of mature oak trees that bury me this time of year. I like the idea of the 300R with the built in powerflow, but the extremely low ground clearance of the bagger frame makes me nervous traveling over all the roots, etc.

Will the base X300 with the regular 7 bu bagger do a good job sucking up the 2-4" layer of (dry) leaves?
Not too worried bout the K46 drive since I won't be adding any heavy attachments (plow, snow blower, etc).

I don't know specifically for that mower, but a lot of riding mowers get clogged when bagging thick leaves, especially when it is 2-4 inches! But maybe it won't since the leaves will be dry.

joe_t

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the x300. I don't have as big a yard, nor as many leaves as you but I found that if I first cut the lawn, then attached the bagger, I can do a nice job of vacuuming the lawn. Cutting up the leaves first also allows me to bag more as the leaves are ground up even finer. Think filling the bags with ping pong balls vs basketballs.

tooljunky

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to Joe_t

Do you have the blow out baffles on your deck?
Do you raise or lower the deck for specifically for vacuuming? I heard the deere decks blow the leaves out the right front....my LX279/48C did, even with the side discharge (no bagger).
I plan to get the 42" deck.

Threads
Thanks to Joe_t

Do you have the blow out baffles on your deck?
Do you raise or lower the deck for specifically for vacuuming? I heard the deere decks blow the leaves out the right front....my LX279/48C did, even with the side discharge (no bagger).
I plan to get the 42" deck.

Usually you raise the deck when sucking up the leaves just in case there are things under the leaves you can't see.

joe_t

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the 42" side discharge deck. in the fall, I cut the lawn normally without the bagger chute attached. I then reattach the chute (no auxiliary blower attachments), raise the deck a click or two and go over the lawn again. When you notice that you are spraying leaves, your 7 bushel bags are full. This method works pretty well for me.

Mind you, I don't have nearly the leaves you do. You might need to raise the deck first, cut it once then then attach the bagging system and cut it a second time.

The X300 is a very nice machine. Good luck

Last edited:

PJ

Threads

Hi
I have a X140 older model than the X300 I initialy had problems with my bagger on the Oak leaves. The delivary side was the problem. I then completely removed the devlector deflector and then fitted the bagger pipe back on with great succes. Getting rid off all the leaves will be your next issue
Good luck
PJ

72vette

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes,I bought a select X300 w/bagger from dealer. 5 months later I found out it blows leaves away from deck and doesn't suck them up!!!! I have high lift blades. What the hell,,,I paid alot for green.

Jhon

Threads
I have a LA model with the standard bagger. It does a nice job on leaves. The key is to put High Lift Blades on for the leaves in the fall. The High Lift Blades are like night and day between the 3n1's and the mulchers.

72vette

Forum Newbie
Threads
I LOVE MY X300 AGAIN!!!!! Found out deere sells a metal strip that bolts on front of mower deck that stops leaves from being blown out the front of deck,it was 40.00 but should be FREE with bagger. I also watched a youtube video on how to bypass pto every time I backed up,works.