Another Newbie looking for Z Turn advice 2.5 acr

Cornfield

Threads
I also fly RC aircraft and I purchased a 48" Husky for $4600.00 in 2018, have been mowing a little over 2 1/2 acres with it with no problems other than replacing the blades twice in almost four years. Blades are cheaper than John Deere, last longer and are easy to change. I am still using the original fan belts, have never had to replace them yet. I also have replaced the battery one time. Very comfortable to use and very well made. A very good friend purchased a John Deere zero turn and all it has done is cost him money since he bought it. When one of the transmissions messed up he took the transmission out and took it to the Deere dealer and they told him they do not repair the transmissions, they just replace them. So he brought it to me and I repaired it in one weekend, but it was difficult getting it back together, had to disassemble twice and reassemble it before I got it right. I've owned a Dixie Chopper before the Husky and the Dixie Chopper was fast, fast, fast but it's not how fast you can cut, it's how you cut fast. A lesson well learned. Get a Husky if you want value for your money.

We have already decided on the Toro. Toro has several servicing dealers in our area.I think the one we are getting will do the job nicely.
I have John Deere equipment at home and have not been 100% satisfied with my latest JD mower. I loved my STX38 and wish that I had kept that for home use but it is long gone.

Cornfield

Threads
I’m paying off the Toro today and it will de delivered in the next two weeks. We are going to have a team of 5 guys operating it. What’s the best way to train the team?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The first thing I would do is ask the dealer is, “when they deliver the unit, would they be willing to give your operators a demonstration of how to use the unit”. If you are picking it up, do they have a demo area for the demonstration? A good dealer will work with you. The one thing I tell new buyers, during a demo, is grab the sticks way inside so your thumbs are touching. By doing this you will know what your hands are doing as you watch ahead of you especially while turning, not watching your sticks. Second, I tell them is to never make a turn with one wheel stopped. This will cause ruts and be the biggest part of the learning curve. Third, sit down with a couple of the operators (all if possible) and type up a check list of things which must be done before and after each mowing. If all operators have input, they are more likely to take ownership and follow through on what to do. Don’t forget to include when normal maintenance needs to be done. Just a suggestion, (HAVE THE DEALER INSTALL AN HOUR METER ON THE UNIT IF IT DOESN’T HAVE ONE). That way it will be easier to know when maintenance needs to be done. I’ve found a logbook by the unit works best, but remember it needs to be used regularly. Your operators need to decide when and how to use it. Your dealer would probably help you put this together. Laminate this checklist and post it where it will be easily seen, over the fuel cans. Fourth, try to do your practice session if possible with all operators there at one time. That way they can bounce their experience off each other and learn from each other. Fifth, select one or two operators (no more than two) who are in charge of the unit, They are the member to go to if questions arise, repairs, working with the dealer, making sure fuel and lubes are available, etc. REMEMBER, there is a learning curve, some long some short. Mistakes happen and start slow. Don’t engage PTO until you are comfortable driving. I hope this is what you are looking for and Good Luck with the members who will disagree with the decision, I suggest you get at least one become an operator.

PS: At the bottom of your check list add the following statement. THE MORE WE FOLLOW THIS LIST, THE LONGER TO UNIT WILL LAST”

Last edited:

Cornfield

Threads
I stopped in the shop today to arrange for delivery next week. The salesman told me “Oops, I checked the warehouse and it turns out that it’s not the Havoc but a Titan Max. I’m feeling conned.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please check your receipt and tell us the exact model number you ordered.

Cornfield

Threads
They are refunding $300 so I’m satisfied. I believe that only difference is the color scheme.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
They are refunding $300 so I’m satisfied. I believe that only difference is the color scheme.
Good deal. The technical specifications are the same.

Cornfield

Threads
The dealer delivered our Toro Titan Max and very patiently demonstrated how to use it to our 6 man mowing team. He told me that the store has zero remaining consumer machines in stock. This looks like it will give us years of use.
I’m going to give Russo Power Equipment in Naperville, IL a 5 star review.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Nice to hear about a dealer who has the customer first in mind. Good luck in your purchase.

Cornfield

Threads
We’ve had our Max for 2 months and are extremely pleased with it. The first time we used it, there was an oil leak. The dealer picked it up, repaired and returned it. No problem since then.