Amazon Stihl parts?????

gmacmopar

Threads
Has anybody bought parts for a Stihl from Amazon? I've got a BG 86 that is missing some parts and was wondering if they are as good and cheaper as the Stihl parts from the dealer?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Amazon hides the identity of its vendors from its customers so you never know who you are buying the goods from.
Thus it is the perfect platform for thieves & crooks to offload vast amounts of stolen or defective goods and this is exactly what has happened .
So it is a lucky dip some are good but just about all of the very cheap are parts that were defective and bought from the factory as scrap for recycling .
And this is often the original factory so they can legally be called OEM and you will note that most say fits X , Y & Z models but almost none say "guaranteed to work "
The aftermarket parts suppliers , Oregon, Prime Line , Rotary & Stens all do a limited line of spares for Stihls
Farmer Tech in China is the largest maker of after market chain saw parts and they do sell direct and over the years I have filled hundreds of parts from them without a single problem.
However the 2 tines I have bought Farmer Tech parts indirectly from ebay both were defective parts & when I gave the vendor negative feedback they simply banned me from their sites ( same person was selling under at least 10 different identities and listing the same part at 10 different prices

gmacmopar

Threads
Wow I was afraid of that due to having problems in the past with Amazon. Well I guess I will go to the dealer and order some.

Thanks so much bertsmobile1

I'm now working on a BG 86 that the bull in the china shop has gotten a hold of and missing a lot of parts.

gmacmopar

Threads
Does anybody have an up to date complete parts listing with part numbers for this BG 86?? Or a site that is good on the web?

Thks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stens & Prime Line both resell FarmerTech parts so if you are in a hurry go to both of their sites and search BG 86 to see what they offer
Mostly it is carbs , filters , starter pulleys , pawls & springs because these are the fast moving wear / service parts
However other parts are availible
I can get parts from China faster than I can get parts from Stihl Australia and usually they are in stock in China and not in stock in Oz

gmacmopar

Threads
Thanks for the info I will give it a try!!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For online parts lookup.
https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/bg-86-c/

Note: this is European site so only the parts number are good and if wanting OEM parts they must be brought from a local dealer. Also note that Stihl is constantly carburetors part numbers. Only a dealer would be able find the current part numbers as these are propriety numbers.

And as said once you have the part number Framertec may have a cloned part available at a lower cost.

The latest IPL I have is from 2012-07.

mmoffitt

Threads
Has anybody bought parts for a Stihl from Amazon? I've got a BG 86 that is missing some parts and was wondering if they are as good and cheaper as the Stihl parts from the dealer?
OEM is OEM...where you get it .....usually from someone authorized to carry and or sell OEM....some stuff is no longer available anywhere....AMAZON sells stuff, lot's of stuff some good some very bad from only God knows who....they do not manufacture anything....cheap parts are cheap parts no matter..best bet for anything is OEM unless it is NOT available and or you DO NOT want to pay for it...Is to roll the dice...and buy from whomever where-ever..... Better yet go to and support your local guy if you can....It's kind of like jack-assing to Home Depot and they do not have it....when you could have gone to the local hardware store ...gotten it....and for less time and effort...or a lot of places WILL get it for you!
Good Luck and be well Sir

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have ran into vendors on Amazon selling after market parts claiming they are OEM parts.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have ran into vendors on Amazon selling after market parts claiming they are OEM parts.
Yup!
If you have olders stihl stuff like chainsaws most OEM parts are NLA so aftermarket is the only option. Many a good saw has been kept off the scrap pile because aftermarket parts were available. OEM is great if it is available.