All the sudden starts surging, pic of carburetor.

hollydolly

Threads
  • / All the sudden starts surging, pic of carburetor.
Bought new in 2010, Zero turn JD EZ Track 54 inch
All the sudden it started surging, dies at idle. The only time it stops surging is at full throttle with blades engaged.
Tried to add pic but says file too large for server ???

D

Deleted member 97405

The carburetor has two circuits. Sounds like the low/idle circuit picked up some debris. This means your fuel system and carburetor probably needs cleaned.

If you can clean it yourself, great! But if you're not ready to take it to the shop just yet, replace the fuel filter....If it runs fine at full throttle and under load, it is ok to run it!

You can have the carburetor/fuel system cleaned or run it and hope the dirt passes through. You're not going to hurt anything by running it since it runs fine under load and at full throttle.

hollydolly

Threads
The carburetor has two circuits. Sounds like the low/idle circuit picked up some debris. This means your fuel system and carburetor probably needs cleaned.

If you can clean it yourself, great! But if you're not ready to take it to the shop just yet, replace the fuel filter....If it runs fine at full throttle and under load, it is ok to run it!

You can have the carburetor/fuel system cleaned or run it and hope the dirt passes through. You're not going to hurt anything by running it since it runs fine under load and at full throttle.
I replaced air, fuel filters, plugs, 2 bottles of seafoam. Same problem. How do I post a pic

D

Deleted member 97405

I replaced air, fuel filters, plugs, 2 bottles of seafoam. Same problem. How do I post a pic
There is an 'attach files' button right below here...hit 'reply', and you'll see it.

1673296977682.png

D

Deleted member 97405

it says, the uploaded file is too large for the server. it is just a picture of the carburetor
Sometimes a high resolution picture is too large for the server. If on mobile, taking a screenshot can help reduce file size, or if on a computer, use the Snip tool to copy and paste the pic into the chat. Those are all the tricks I use. I work at a Deere dealership, so all I need is the model (serial number would be better) of your mower and I can find info on the carburetor, although I'm not sure we need that at this point since it just sounds like your system needs cleaned. If your mower has a Briggs engine, your carb may have plastic internal parts that have warped from the fuel. If cleaning doesnt help it, you'll have to replace the carb, possibly. That is all the advice I can give you for now until you get the carb checked out or cleaned. Anything else is just speculation. Good luck!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I've had better luck with Berrymans B12 chemtool as a fuel additive for cleaning. I've used in my own Cub a time or two when i'm too busy to work on it, and it clears it up within a few hours running.

hollydolly

Threads
I've had better luck with Berrymans B12 chemtool as a fuel additive for cleaning. I've used in my own Cub a time or two when i'm too busy to work on it, and it clears it up within a few hours running.
Thank you

hollydolly

Threads
Sometimes a high resolution picture is too large for the server. If on mobile, taking a screenshot can help reduce file size, or if on a computer, use the Snip tool to copy and paste the pic into the chat. Those are all the tricks I use. I work at a Deere dealership, so all I need is the model (serial number would be better) of your mower and I can find info on the carburetor, although I'm not sure we need that at this point since it just sounds like your system needs cleaned. If your mower has a Briggs engine, your carb may have plastic internal parts that have warped from the fuel. If cleaning doesnt help it, you'll have to replace the carb, possibly. That is all the advice I can give you for now until you get the carb checked out or cleaned. Anything else is just speculation. Good luck!
1673368346500.jpeg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Being a twin barrel carburetor is very possible the main jets are loose as their retaining o-rings will shrink and harden with age. When this happens they leak excess fuel themselves leading to a surging engine.
These tiny o-rings are available from Kawasaki dealers like JD or small shops like mine when your are a local customer. I do mean tiny. You can even loose the jets if not careful upon carburetor disassembly.