Export thread

Air gauge.

wjjones

wjjones

Is there any such thing as one that is accurate? I was checking my trailer, and truck tires with mine I used 4 different gauges, and got a different reading from each one that was way apart on each gauge.

S

SeniorCitizen

Four gauges makes for a stressful life . :laughing: Sell all four and buy one good gauge by adding a few bucks in the hat. They ain't cheeeeep . Some of the racing folks can recommend good gauges I suspect . While you are buying go ahead and get the equalizer hose or make one . That way you'll know all the tires on a particular vehicle are equal or 2 front and 2 rear if desired . With my equalizer hose I can rob air from my wife's car tires to air my lawn tractor tires :thumbsup:

wjjones

wjjones

Four gauges makes for a stressful life . :laughing: Sell all four and buy one good gauge by adding a few bucks in the hat. They ain't cheeeeep . Some of the racing folks can recommend good gauges I suspect . While you are buying go ahead and get the equalizer hose or make one . That way you'll know all the tires on a particular vehicle are equal or 2 front and 2 rear if desired . With my equalizer hose I can rob air from my wife's car tires to air my lawn tractor tires :thumbsup:

Yep I thought I had a decent one I paid $30 for that stupid thing but it was about 12psi off from the cheaper ones. I also bought one of the dial gauge style ones, and it gives a total different reading from the other 3. I compared it to the $30 one, and those 2 where the ones that where 12 psi apart on the readings. Both are campbell hausfeld gauges.

R

Rivets

Went through a dozen until I broke down and got one from the Snap-On guy. Cost less than $20 if my memory is still with me.

wjjones

wjjones

Went through a dozen until I broke down and got one from the Snap-On guy. Cost less than $20 if my memory is still with me.

You know I completely forgot about snap-on (Duh) I will check one of them out. I guess I was so aggravated with these I forgot about the other name brands. Thankyou for the tip I will check on one tomorrow.

P

possum

I have two cheap light as paper Harbor Freight ones. They both read the same. I have one old heavy one that is at least 40 years old. It reads the same as the two cheapo ones.

reynoldston

reynoldston

I can't see a few psi from one gauge to the next would be any big thing. Just use the same gauge for all the tires on the same vehicle. Its a lot more important to have all tires with the same psi then a few psi one way or the other.

Carscw

Carscw

Intercomp 360060

Go to a race track and you will see a hundred of these. 1 pound off can win or lose a race

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Bob E

Bob E

I can't see a few psi from one gauge to the next would be any big thing. Just use the same gauge for all the tires on the same vehicle. Its a lot more important to have all tires with the same psi then a few psi one way or the other.
+1

The inline tire gauges on gas station air pumps are usually junk, but other than that I've never encountered this problem. I had to double check all of my gauges after I read this. They all read the same. I have 2 Victors and one no name truck stop special. One Victor is a regular tire gauge and the other is a dial gauge.
Also I don't mean to patronize, but make sure you are seating the gauge all the way on the valve stem, otherwise it will be difficult to get an accurate or consistent measurement.

wjjones

wjjones

Mine where several lbs apart so I dont know if any of them, or which one is correct.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Intercomp 360060

Go to a race track and you will see a hundred of these. 1 pound off can win or lose a race

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

I am sure of one thing 1psi off of air in your tire isn't going to win any race around your lawn on a lawn mower. What in the world difference is a few
psi going to make in a lawn mower tire. What is top speed 12MPH, in a commercial mower or are you looking for mileage? I find on mower tires the biggest
enemies is age or the toe in or out adjustment on front tires.

wjjones

wjjones

Monday I am going to see if I can find a good name brand air gauge somewhere.

jekjr

jekjr

I don't have but one so to make sure I keep down confusion I am not going to get another one till this one breaks or I lose it.

wjjones

wjjones

If I can find a good one, or a way to find out which one of mine is accurate I will keep it until it falls apart

reynoldston

reynoldston

If you are going to buy a air gage for a mower you should buy a low presure gauge. You are only runing 8 to 10 psi. and most standard gauges start at 10 psi.

S

SeniorCitizen

I've found the tire pressure monitoring systems ( TPMS )to be accurate . Consider checking your gauge collection against a TPMS tire and keep the one that rates the best in your collection .