Air Filter Cover Problem

Rouillier

Threads
I used my neighbor's Honda fairly new Honda Lawn mower yesterday and really liked it a lot but there was one problem. The air filter and cover kept falling off. The plastic clips and hinges did not hold. I tried duct tape but it did not hold very well. It really seams like a poor design! My old Honda had a screw/bolt that held the cover on that works just fine. Does anyone know if Honda has corrected the design flaw? I am considering buying a new Honda but I do not want on with this problem.

Threads
I used my neighbor's Honda fairly new Honda Lawn mower yesterday and really liked it a lot but there was one problem. The air filter and cover kept falling off. The plastic clips and hinges did not hold. I tried duct tape but it did not hold very well. It really seams like a poor design! My old Honda had a screw/bolt that held the cover on that works just fine. Does anyone know if Honda has corrected the design flaw? I am considering buying a new Honda but I do not want on with this problem.

I have a Honda HRX217HYA I bought in August (2012 model). Mine has never fallen off, and I use mine commercially. On your neighbor's mower, were the clips not broken? And what "model" Honda mower does he have....HRR? HRX? HRS? HRC?

Rouillier

Threads
I have a Honda HRX217HYA I bought in August (2012 model). Mine has never fallen off, and I use mine commercially. On your neighbor's mower, were the clips not broken? And what "model" Honda mower does he have....HRR? HRX? HRS? HRC?

I think it is a HRX.

The clips were not broken.

Here is a look at someone else with the same problem but it is on another model Honda.

Honda Lawn Mower Air Filter Cleaner Cover Falling Off! - Lawn Mowers Forum - GardenWeb

Threads

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
There was a Service Bulletin issued by Honda back in 2004 regarding this issue.

HRX models in the affected range include ENGINE serial numbers from GJAAA-1000001~GJAAA-1128332.

The fix is a revised cover with improved tabs/ribs for a better, more secure fit. The change is only a 1 mm (0.04 inch), but does the job. The Honda Part Number for the updated cover is 17231-Z0L-050, and it has a suggested retail price of $3.92. Available from any Honda dealer; here's a link to find one in your area:

Honda Power Equipment - Find a dealer

Rouillier

Threads
Glad they found a fix but I still like the design on my old Honda mower with the thumb screw to hold the cover on. I was easier and much better that the plastic tabs. They just don't make them like they used to! :frown:

Threads
Glad they found a fix but I still like the design on my old Honda mower with the thumb screw to hold the cover on. I was easier and much better that the plastic tabs. They just don't make them like they used to! :frown:

That is true with a lot of things. :frown: But I like the tabs--they are simple to take off, but don't fall off. :thumbsup:

MowerMike

Threads
That is true with a lot of things. :frown: But I like the tabs--they are simple to take off, but don't fall off. :thumbsup:

The problem is that the slots that are part of the carb intake housing can fatigue with repeated removals of the cover, and eventually break. Replacement of the entire intake housing is expensive and time consuming. I like to remove the cover after every mowing to blow off the outside of the air filter and remove accumulations of small clippings and dirt inside the cover.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my HRX, I swapped out the outer cover and went with the 2-part filter found on the Honda HRC (Commercial) model. The outer cover is deeper (still uses the tabs) but the extra foam prefilter does a better job keeping the crud out, so I don't have to inspect/clean it as often.

See parts #3, 4 and 7 below from the HRC216K3PDA catalog:

Attachments

• hrc216pda air cleaner.jpg
    hrc216pda air cleaner.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 29

MowerMike

Threads
On my HRX, I swapped out the outer cover and went with the 2-part filter found on the Honda HRC (Commercial) model. The outer cover is deeper (still uses the tabs) but the extra foam prefilter does a better job keeping the crud out, so I don't have to inspect/clean it as often.

See parts #3, 4 and 7 below from the HRC216K3PDA catalog:

Does the foam filter have to be oiled, or is it just used dry and washed with soap periodically ?