Advice needed on buying a zero turn... Toro or Troy Bilt!

bppettie

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Advice needed on buying a zero turn... Toro or Troy Bilt!
Hi. I really need some advice... Time to buy a new mower... Zero Turn about 50 inch....23-25 HP.... I am considering Toro or Troy Bilt.
Can anyone offer advice on which is best? A good consideration is ease of working on the machine myself? Best Engine?

Thanks so much. Blessings to all. bppettie

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion (I’m a Toro guy) this one is a nobrainer, Toro all the way. Quality of the unit and backup service are the reason I say this. TroyBilt units are made by MTD, which is the low end of all units out there today. I have seen no problems with Toro’s Loncin engine and homeowner service is about equal.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll second Toro® as well, since mine is one. So my answer 'may' be slightly biased. But almost 7 years since I bought my Toro new & not a single regret.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Toro! Toro!
Get out the red cape!

gotomow

Threads
Toro, count on it.

cruzenmike

Threads
Toro most definitely! I assume that you are looking for the cheapest mower they have with your deck size and hp requirement? Just in the 50" models you have a choice of Toro or Kawasaki engines. You can go down to a 48" and get a Titan which has better transmissions as well. Plenty of options, all under $5000.

beddy85

Threads
Toro without blinking an eye.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Lots to choose from, I would prefer a Timecutter HD over a Titan. Titans are too heavy imo.

Engines, I have the Kawasaki & it is a beast. But there is also the Kohler & Toro's own to choose from. I hear they are all pretty good.

Here's a link to look at every model,

zeroturn | Toro

Watch the weights too. Cause in wet grass over time you could rut the ground.

Born2Mow

Threads
If you want to compare 2 model lines..... Toro also makes Exmark.

Three Oaks

Forum Newbie
Threads
In my opinion (I’m a Toro guy) this one is a nobrainer, Toro all the way. Quality of the unit and backup service are the reason I say this. TroyBilt units are made by MTD, which is the low end of all units out there today. I have seen no problems with Toro’s Loncin engine and homeowner service is about equal.
My wife and owned a Toro, and it worked very well. Still runs well. We have a four acre back yard and a 6 acre front yard. We used the Toro around the house, but we stepped out game and went with Gravely. Its a BIG difference. I don't know your situation, what you are mowing, number of hours you spend on that zero turn; but my recommendation, spend the $5,000 and get a gravely. You wont be sorry.