Advice needed on buying a zero turn... Toro or Troy Bilt!

MT Runner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Advice needed on buying a zero turn... Toro or Troy Bilt!
I have to agree with the other posts. The Toro Timecutter has served me very well. I have an older Z4235 that I bought used from a commercial landscape maintenance company. It has a lot of hours on it, since it served the previous owner for over 10 years. It was cheap so I figured I would give it a try. The Kawasaki engine is indestructible. It has a lot of power and cuts well. The Toro TimeCutter Z4235 is not an expensive mower, which makes it even more impressive. I find myself using it for more and more of my lawn. My Massey MF1705 tractor has a 60" belly mower deck and is great for the large cutting areas, but the Toro Timecutter is now being used for half of our property because it is so maneuverable and easy to mow with. BTW, I believe the John Deere low-end zero turn is made by the same company and just branded with green.

Pecon16

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well looks like a lot of Toro fans out there... I have had Simplicity for over 40 years... they have gone through lots of changes but made a new purchase of a 42" Courier with Kawasaki engine last fall. Have neighbor with 2 of the same. One with BS other with Kawasaki... Find no faults so far. One of my reasonings over others was availability of parts. I was able to purchase parts for my 35 yr old Simplicity mower chassis... but difficult to find BS engine parts.... We also needed mulcher kits that others do not offer. Check out different dealers as this same basic mower comes under the Snapper Brand Name.... and both are owned by Briggs

clintrobbins

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Toro 50" Timecutter three seasons ago from Home Depot for about $2,700 (they honored the 10% military discount) and have been satisfied.

ORPguy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi. I really need some advice... Time to buy a new mower... Zero Turn about 50 inch....23-25 HP.... I am considering Toro or Troy Bilt.
Can anyone offer advice on which is best? A good consideration is ease of working on the machine myself? Best Engine?

Thanks so much. Blessings to all. bppettie
Been working on a Toro timecutter that has a few years on it, and the belt that drives the deck keeps popping off and shredding. Ain't cheap to fix, and the owner is 87 and can't do the re-set himself. Also his seat switch is giving out all the time, temporarily bypasses it so early spring mowing could happen. DEPENDING on your BUDGET I would look at some of the pure commercial zero turns like Hustler, Kubota and Deere. I'd ask around commercial mowing companies and see what they use, and most importantly, the situation with servicing dealer and warranty.
Here in rural Northeast Georgia with lots of hills and trees and fireants, its a tossup between front-runners and mid-chassis deck zero turns. If you have dealers who will give you a trial/loaner machine, see what works best on your land. And get to know the dealers... they are more important than the manufacturers, in my opinion, having been a dealer for several years.

DougPatrick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would def say a Toro if those are your 2 choices, but I bought an Ariens IKON 52 last year, and I am very happy with it. Very solid mower. Go to Youtube and watch some review videos on all makes. You have to take them with a grain of salt, because these are mostly guys like you and me, but you can get a good idea of features that may appeal to you.

BTBO

Threads
Hi. I really need some advice... Time to buy a new mower... Zero Turn about 50 inch....23-25 HP.... I am considering Toro or Troy Bilt.
Can anyone offer advice on which is best? A good consideration is ease of working on the machine myself? Best Engine?

Thanks so much. Blessings to all. bppettie
As a 3rd option, you may want to look at a Scag Liberty Z 48". It has a 21.5 hp Kawasaki and Scag is known for quality of cut. I have just under 1 acre and can cut 4 times before refueling.

bppettie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to everyone... TORO it is! And this week is the week/day.... going for the Toro Time Cutter 54 inch ... just have to inquire about who does the service if needed.... I prefer to do it myself... but need the backup.... Thanks again to all who offered assistance.... Blessings.

dixieseller

Threads
Sorry I have to go with A DIXIE CHOPPER as I have been selling them for 28 years. You cannot beat the Quility now that The Evans family has control under the Alamo Group. I have commercial guys still running 1994 machines

Graeden

Threads
Toro if your only choosing between those two brands. However I would look into commercial brands such as Gravely, Scag, Exmark, Walker or Ferris due to the higher quality hydros & spindle assemblies.

Mower Frank

Threads
I would suggest that you look at the Gravely brand for a zero turn mower. The have a heavy duty welded deck on the residential model and even heavier deck on the commercial models.