Adjusting values- not going well!

YnotRoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Craftsman 21.0 / 540cc Briggs Stratton motor. Model # 917288515. Engine model # 331877 2371 G5. Replaced battery/ starter solenoid/ ignition switch. I get a 1/4 turn from the motor and won’t crank (googled the issue and seen many videos to adjust the valves). I tried many of them with the same results. The last one I tired- TDC piston went about 1/4” further and adjusted intake valve to .004 and the exhaust valve to .006. Same result- so I removed the spark plug (and did something I know I should not do) sprayed a squirt of stater fluid - turned the key, motor turned over with a pop or 2 out of the carb and it started and the mower ran - cut my lawn - pulled into the garage and turned off the mower and some little back fire or pop from the carb. With the motor still warm - mower started. I tried the next day - same results- 1/4 turn of the motor and Nothing! Need Help! I’m sure I don’t have something adjusted correctly with the valves but I’m at my wits End!
Any ideas would be grateful!

YnotRoman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Broken compression release. Try turning it backwards until it comes up on compression and try starting it.
Thanks - I shall give it a try and will reply later.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Or a worn cam
I had a customers mower that would not start early in the morning.
By the time I got there it was lunch & the mower had been sitting in the sunlight for several hours
It would fire right up without a problem
Next weekend, the same thing
So I did a valve lash adjustment
Next week, same thing again so I tightened the lash a bit more
Same thing next week
Eventually he just resigned himself that it would not start first up on a cold morning having spent all night is a cold steel shed
At the end of the season I stripped the engine to find the exhaust cam just about full round