Adjusting RPM/governor

Toroboro

Threads
I friend gave me a very nice Toro 20330 recycler mower with B&S 190cc engine. For some reason, the engine speed seems quite high. I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and everything seems to move freely. I have another identical mower and the engine runs at a more moderate and reasonable RPM and seems to respond well to the governor when under load. How do I adjust the RPM on the first described engine? I posted a related question on the Toro forum.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
you will need your serial number for identification purposes.
You will need model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code numbers xxxxxx from B&S engine for engine manual with specs.
Scroll down page & click on B&S Engine then push mower & locate page with specs.

Last edited:

Toroboro

Threads
you will need your serial number for identification purposes.
You will need model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code numbers xxxxxx from B&S engine for engine manual with specs.
Scroll down page & click on B&S Engine then push mower & locate page with specs.

OK thanks a lot. I see the engine speed should be 2900 +/- 100 RPM. I guess I need to find a photo electric tach.

Toroboro

Threads
I found this Youtube video that shows the governor spring anchor bracket being bent in a direction to either increase or decrease governor spring tension. Whether this is the way Briggs & Stratton recommends, I don't know. But it takes care of the problem.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I found this Youtube video that shows the governor spring anchor bracket being bent in a direction to either increase or decrease governor spring tension. Whether this is the way Briggs & Stratton recommends, I don't know. But it takes care of the problem.
that's the way i've done it for years.