Export thread

Adjusting RPM/governor

T

Toroboro

I friend gave me a very nice Toro 20330 recycler mower with B&S 190cc engine. For some reason, the engine speed seems quite high. I cleaned the carb with carb cleaner and everything seems to move freely. I have another identical mower and the engine runs at a more moderate and reasonable RPM and seems to respond well to the governor when under load. How do I adjust the RPM on the first described engine? I posted a related question on the Toro forum.
Thanks in advance.
Bob

M

mechanic mark

you will need your serial number for identification purposes.
You will need model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code numbers xxxxxx from B&S engine for engine manual with specs.
Scroll down page & click on B&S Engine then push mower & locate page with specs.

T

Toroboro

you will need your serial number for identification purposes.
You will need model xxxxxx, type xxxx, trim xx, & code numbers xxxxxx from B&S engine for engine manual with specs.
Scroll down page & click on B&S Engine then push mower & locate page with specs.

OK thanks a lot. I see the engine speed should be 2900 +/- 100 RPM. I guess I need to find a photo electric tach.

T

Toroboro

I found this Youtube video that shows the governor spring anchor bracket being bent in a direction to either increase or decrease governor spring tension. Whether this is the way Briggs & Stratton recommends, I don't know. But it takes care of the problem.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I found this Youtube video that shows the governor spring anchor bracket being bent in a direction to either increase or decrease governor spring tension. Whether this is the way Briggs & Stratton recommends, I don't know. But it takes care of the problem.
that's the way i've done it for years.

M

mmoffitt

Hi-TECH!

T

Toroboro

Yeah, I thought the solution was going to be more technical than bending the bracket but what works, works!!! :)