Adjusted parking brake now can't get the tractor to engage

BOB L

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Adjusted parking brake now can't get the tractor to engage
I have a 11 hp Craftsman tractor model 917255736. I adjusted the parking brake . Now the tractor wont engage. The brake is adjusted to the correct spec . Now has no brakes at all. Changed the belt and played with the brake adjustment nothing works. This baffling me!!!!!!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are you saying the tractor won't move, and now you have no brakes at all?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
How & where did you adjust the brake ?

BOB L

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the Manuel for the tractor . Adjusted the brake at the rod on the side of the trans axle. No brake at all!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have the Manuel for the tractor . Adjusted the brake at the rod on the side of the trans axle. No brake at all!
If the brake is external to the transmission then the brake is adjusted by turning the NUT in the center of the brake caliper.
The adjustment on the brake rod that connects the clutch & brake is for balancing the action of the clutch & the brake so they are not working against each other.

keakar

Threads
this is pretty common, the brake has rusted pins that press on the brake pads, when you adjusted it you forced them shut and now the rust has them jammed so they wont release.

take the brake assembly off, remove the 1/4" steel pins, clean the rust off of them and clean any corrosion out of the holes they go in then liberally apply grease in the holes and socket when you reassemble it. the brake will work like new again and then you can go through the procedure to set the brake adjustment

BOB L

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I'll do that . It has been driving me crazy for days finally pushed it out side

BOB L

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'll let you know how I make out. Grass is getting high and my Murray needs blades.