Accessing freewheel lever on my lawn tractor?

MattN.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all, I'm new to the forum. I need to replace broken freewheel lever and it's tucked in the rear on top of transmission, is there an easy way to get to it?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you are talking about the rod then itrequires a bit of contortions with the rear end as high off the ground as you can get it .
If you are talking about the lever itself that is attached to the tranny then for most it will require you being double jointed or dropping the tranny.
Dropping the tranny is only 6 bolts , a belt & a couple of control rods most of which are retained with a circlip, cotter pin ( replaced with R clip ) or R clip.
A lot easier than most would think
While it is down give it a good clean.

MattN.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
<deleted>

Last edited by a moderator:

MattN.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just wanted to follow-up on this. I was able to gain access to it by unbolting the the transaxle and jacking up the rear and taking the right wheel off which allowed me to gain access without removing the axle. Having now done this, the engineer in me has me wondering what the @$#^;& was Turf Torq and Husqvarna thinking! 1st off Husqvarna mounted a belt guide plate directly on top of the lever which made almost impossible to remove without completely removing the rear transaxle! Several busted knuckles later I able to loosen it enough to move it out of the way. 2nd Tuff Torq used a roll pin to secure the level in place which wasn't fun removing in such tight spaces. A simple flat on the shaft secured with a bolt would have been a much better solution IMO.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The transmissions are made as cheap as possible and designed to be produced cheaply
They are sealed units and not supposed to be servicable only replaced.
Husqvarna , same story.
Mower is designed to be cheap to assemble.

Easy access for servicing , or easy serviceing for that matter are nowhere near the selling points as being 5¢ cheaper

MattN.

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree, but these aren't done to a price point, I just see as poor design!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Everything Husqvarna does is done to a price point , even more so now that they have become a dominant player.
That is why they are abandoning the walk behind & tractor style markets
ZTR's have a lot higher profit margin & are a lot cheaper to fabricate & assemble .