A Little Concerned!

TnHusky

Threads
Well I'm a little concerened about the engine on my mower. It's the 24hp Kohler in my mower and i was using it for some yard work today, you know spreading fertilizer etc. I stopped and talked to my neighbor a bit and it was on a little downward encline and when I fired it back up oil smoke jut rolled out. And to tell you the truth I thought I could smell a little oil smell before this happened.
Now if that wasn't enough to get me worried, I started it up a couple of time and revved it up and when I shut it off it was making a buzzing sound. I looked and didn't see anything but I turned the key off and on and it quit. Geez, don't tell me this.......!:frown:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I'm a little concerened about the engine on my mower. It's the 24hp Kohler in my mower and i was using it for some yard work today, you know spreading fertilizer etc. I stopped and talked to my neighbor a bit and it was on a little downward encline and when I fired it back up oil smoke jut rolled out. And to tell you the truth I thought I could smell a little oil smell before this happened.
Now if that wasn't enough to get me worried, I started it up a couple of time and revved it up and when I shut it off it was making a buzzing sound. I looked and didn't see anything but I turned the key off and on and it quit. Geez, don't tell me this.......!:frown:

Make sure that gas is not getting into your oil. Check the oil level and smell it for gas fumes. Your float could be sticking causing fuel to flow into the crankcase.

TnHusky

Threads
That was the first thing I did. No gas smell what so ever. I looked at the level of the the oil and it looked a little over filled. It mat have drained into the cylinder when i was on the encline. I restarted the engine and smelled the exhaust fumes and it was clean with no smell at all.
What about the switch deal? Any ideas?

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
That was the first thing I did. No gas smell what so ever. I looked at the level of the the oil and it looked a little over filled. It mat have drained into the cylinder when i was on the encline. I restarted the engine and smelled the exhaust fumes and it was clean with no smell at all.
What about the switch deal? Any ideas?

A buzzing sound usually indicates an electrical issue, such as a short or loose wire. The starter can make a buzzing sound when not receiving enough amperage.

Threads
Mine did this too in its early years after it got broke in good it just stopped doing it the smoking that is. It would do it for a bit after I let it back down off the mojack it would smoke a few minutes, and then quit.

TnHusky

Threads
Mine did this too in its early years after it got broke in good it just stopped doing it the smoking that is. It would do it for a bit after I let it back down off the mojack it would smoke a few minutes, and then quit.

wjjones what kind of engine do you have that did that? I was hoping the same thing!

mullins87

Threads
Back in '97 I bought my first brand new mower, it was a White. Back then Whites were a dealer only brand. I can't remember the model number, but it was a 15 hp OHV Briggs, 42' deck, and it had the variable ratio pulley speed control rather than a hydro or geared transmission. I owned it for 11 years. Every once in a great while, not even once a year, that engine would suddenly belch great clouds of smoke for no reason. It would smoke for about 5 minutes and quit on its own. There was never any oil dripping from the exhaust, never any oil in the air filter, nor did the oil ever have a gas smell. In those 5 minutes it would burn just enough oil that I could barely see it lowered on the dipstick. Otherwise, I never had to add more than a pint of oil over the entire mowing season. I never figured out why it would happen, but it never caused any problems and the mower still looked and ran like brand new the day I sold it. :ashamed:

TnHusky

Threads
Mr Mullins I know what you mean. I just sold a perfectly good white and bought me a newer one. I wanted a bigger deck so I could cut the grass faster and safe a little time. Maybe all this is just me being a little bit jittery since I never had a kohler engine in my life. It's a littl more noiser than my ole briggs was but it's also bigger and a different design.