8HP Verticle shaft Briggs

wingnutt70

Forum Newbie
I just bought a NOS biggs short block. 8hp verticle shaft. Could a bad flywheel keyway cause the engine to smoke? white/blue smoke when i rev it but not much if any when running steady. The reason i ask is because the flywheel keyway off the old engine is not in that great of conditon. Looks like it may have sheared a key or two in the past. OR maybe the breather or crank seals? Idk, i didnt expect a new engine to smoke. Thanks for any suggestions
 
I just bought a NOS biggs short block. 8hp verticle shaft. Could a bad flywheel keyway cause the engine to smoke? white/blue smoke when i rev it but not much if any when running steady. The reason i ask is because the flywheel keyway off the old engine is not in that great of conditon. Looks like it may have sheared a key or two in the past. OR maybe the breather or crank seals? Idk, i didnt expect a new engine to smoke. Thanks for any suggestions

Anybody?
 
I just bought a NOS biggs short block. 8hp verticle shaft. Could a bad flywheel keyway cause the engine to smoke? white/blue smoke when i rev it but not much if any when running steady. The reason i ask is because the flywheel keyway off the old engine is not in that great of conditon. Looks like it may have sheared a key or two in the past. OR maybe the breather or crank seals? Idk, i didnt expect a new engine to smoke. Thanks for any suggestions

The key way will have nothing to do with smoke. It will effect the running of the engine because of timing. Your crankcase breathes has to be open or you will be building up too much crankcase pressure and blow out the oil seals and yes it might smoke. I will take a guess here and say maybe the rings have seat in? Make sure your breathes are open and put some hours on the engine and see if it improves. If not I would say there is a problem with the new short block, like valve guides or cylinder walls??
 
The key way will have nothing to do with smoke. It will effect the running of the engine because of timing. Your crankcase breathes has to be open or you will be building up too much crankcase pressure and blow out the oil seals and yes it might smoke. I will take a guess here and say maybe the rings have seat in? Make sure your breathes are open and put some hours on the engine and see if it improves. If not I would say there is a problem with the new short block, like valve guides or cylinder walls??

Thank you. I think it may be the breather because i pulled the flywheel back off and there was oil around the top seal. I will try a new breather and run it for a while and see if it helps. Thanks again
 
What was the part number of the NOS shortblock? Any dates printed on the box???

Did the block look like it was set up for points?
 
You need to plug the points plunger hole, if you are not using the points, that may be your whole problem...
 
You need to plug the points plunger hole, if you are not using the points, that may be your whole problem...

Oh, good one. I am not using the points. I never thought of that. Thanks alot. i will give that a try along with a breather. I will update once i try it. Thanks again
 
Back
Top