$800+ for drive belt replacement?

karrun

Threads
We have a i1046 ZT that is maybe 5 years old and has been nothing but trouble since we got it. A few weeks ago it began to lose power going up hills. The motor didn't lose power, just the drive. A loose drive belt was the suspected culprit. We tried belt dressing but that didn't help. We brought it into our local cub cadet dealer and they took a look at it. They were able to tighten the belt and for now they say it works okay. But they recommended a replacement. This will necessitate removing the body (!) and 9 hours of labor for a cost of around $800 or so if all goes well. Does this seem right? I looked up a video for hydrostatic drive belt replacement, and while a bit complicated for the technologically challenged, did not appear to necessitate such extreme measures. Are we being led on here?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know but if its a 9 hr. job I can sure understand why its 800 dollars if the dealer is doing the job. Maybe look for some place that has a lower labor rate. Some of the smaller mower repair shops don't need the big labor charges to pay the big overhead that dealer have.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take it to a shop not a dealer. It's not all that hard to replace.

karrun

Threads
So how hard would it be to do ourselves? Are there any guides? We basically have all winter to do it.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
PDF Manual Web Archive

You mentioned trouble since you got it, get rid of it, sell it. Afterwords, take your time and research all equipment and reviews and then purchase from a local dealer. You might get lucky this time of year and get a real deal on a nice mower.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You said they tighten it and its OK now. As for myself if it was a 800 dollar job I would want to know why the belt needs replacement. I have worked for dealers and they are out to sell work so beware. So just what is wrong with the belt that it needs replacement? As far as replacing the belt yourself you know your skills and what tools you have? If you try it yourself take a lot of pictures and don't throw your parts in a big pile but lay them out so you know how it go's together.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I agree always take lots of pics as you will pretty much be taking the mower apart.
As ric said you can remove the seat to get to see the belt.
Deck needs to come off and a few braces and two control arms.
Look at how the belt is routed draw a pic and number everything that needs to be moved.

With a helper should take you about 4 hrs

Don't forget to take pics of where the washers go